parallel job functions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

parallel job functions

Post by vsi »

Hi folks,

To know the functions used in parallel jobs, i mean date functions and datatype conversions, i am looking in orcherstate manual guide, but i am not finding any where, The most of the information related to operators.

I am new to parallel jobs.

Please help me where i can find the functions.

Thanks in advance.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Even the Help from the DataStage GUI is quite good, to get you started. You can do a search on - Parallel Job Functions - to give you a list of available functions.

The Bird
StageZilla
Participant

Post by StageZilla »

My 2 cents : Parallel job functions arent as well documented the way server job functions are. No examples of using functions and results have been documented. So some amount of trial/error is a must.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Thanks for your response folks,

StageZilla,

Is there any document prepared for parallel job functions, I mean for u r reference.

please make it useful for us also.

Thanks in advance.
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

StageZilla wrote:My 2 cents : Parallel job functions arent as well documented the way server job functions are. No examples of using functions and results have been documented. So some amount of trial/error is a must.
In the orchestrate reference manual, we can find the functions with proper syntax and examples for other operators like modify stage. But, they haven't given for Transformer operator and the best reference document is Parallel Developer guide and DS Xchange posts.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
StageZilla
Participant

Post by StageZilla »

StageZilla,

Is there any document prepared for parallel job functions, I mean for u r reference.

please make it useful for us also.
All that i can say is the document (Parallel Job developers guide and orchestrate operators reference PDF files)is very comprehensive in giving the syntax and i cannot find fault with it. Only examples have not been given that way it has been done for basic functions in server jobs. It may seem frustrating, but just follow the documentation and you are there.

HTH
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You haven't looked hard enough - there ARE faults. :roll:

But in general they do have adequate breadth of coverage, if not perhaps the desired depth.

Would anyone be interested in (paying to take) a training class on derivations in parallel jobs? Probably two or three days, with lots of hands-on exercises.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

ray.wurlod wrote:You haven't looked hard enough - there ARE faults. :roll:

But in general they do have adequate breadth of coverage, if not perhaps the desired depth.

Would anyone be interested in (paying to take) a training class on derivations in parallel jobs? Probably two or three days, with lots of hands-on exercises.

Yes i am interested, Please provide further details of price, place,date, etc...

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Clearly this is "vapourware" at this time. If there is enough interest then maybe there will be time found to put one together. Remember that developing training takes much longer than presenting it - depending on the delivery model the ratio may be up to 100:1.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

ray.wurlod wrote:Clearly this is "vapourware" at this time. If there is enough interest then maybe there will be time found to put one together. Remember that developing training takes much longer than presenting it - depending on the delivery model the ratio may be up to 100:1.

Thats fine Ray,

Please paln for it , in the mean time give me some suggestions how to practice these to get perfectness in using the parallel functions.

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a first step - what I did when learning the Modify stage - create a spreadsheet or some other table with three columns.

Result - the data type produced by the function
Specification - syntax of the function
Notes - any additional information

Examples

Code: Select all

date    date_from_days_since[date](int32)
int8    year_week_from_date(date)                                1-53
int32   microseconds_from_time(time)                             0-999999
string  string_trim[character,direction,justify](string)
any     handle_null(any, value)                                  compatible
kusuma
Participant

Post by kusuma »

Hi Ray,

Would you please let us know the place for training and also the exact fee, so that others if interested could also plan to attend.

Also, what other topics can be included?

Thanks,
Kusuma
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It will not be before January 2007, because I am already fully booked and need some time to develop the materials. And have other development tasks competing for priority.

The reason to seek expressions of interest at this time is precisely to gauge interest, and organize priorities accordingly.

As to pricing, work on US$500/day per student. Thus, if it's two days, it's US$1000, if it's three days it's US$1500. That is not a commitment at this time - it's a guideline.