NLS Uninstall and NLS Default features

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

NLS Uninstall and NLS Default features

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

A few questions about NLS.

1) Can NLS be uninstalled after it has been installed?

2) Exactly what features of NLS have people observed not to work on Windows 7.5X2 environments? The vendors installation recommendations suggest there must be something important missing from the NLS functionality.

3) What NLS benefits should I expect to receive simply by installing the package, but not performing any special configuration on individual NLS panels on jobs. I ask this question because I have a job that works fine on a 7.5X2 environment with an NLS installation (Server Default Map: MS1252, Parallel Default Map: ISO-8859-1), but nothing has been configured for NLS on the job. When this job was migrated to a non NLS 7.5X2 environment, the job produces the following warning:
1.APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Invalid character conversion found converting to ISO-8859-1, substituting.
Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. Only via uninstall and reinstall. But it can be disabled by setting NLSMODE to 0 in uvconfig and regenerating the image.

2. What recommendations? I haven't had any problems, but again I haven't tried to stress test it.

3. In Canada you won't get much benefit, maybe the proper handling of accented characters when changing case and the correct international currency symbol. The warning is occurring because a reference to the character map persists (as a job property or stage/link property) somewhere in your job and the non-NLS installation is unable to resolve it. Provide that your data really are in US-English, you won't get any data issues.

A final note; DataStage storage requirements in the repository increase slightly when NLS is enabled, because Unicode rather than ASCII encoding is used for internal storage of character data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In case it's not clear, Ray's #1 response means it is only possible to uninstall NLS by an uninstall and reinstall of DataStage - and on the reinstall, you choose to not install NLS.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I take it by setting up NLSMODE to 0, I will be simulating data transformation 100% like a non NLS installation.

2. The release notes for 7.5X2 (winee.pdf) explicitly state:
Do not check the NLS install box. NLS is not supported with the 7.5x2 release of DataStage Enterprise Edition on Windows
Although I'm getting the increasing suspicion that it is simply that the vendor simply hasn't tested it sufficiently. They had the same stance on the multi-client manager with 7.5X2. They said it was not supported, but it seems to work fine.

Greg