How can we do Performance tuning?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Jaleel
Participant

How can we do Performance tuning?

Post by Jaleel »

Hi,

I have a requirement in which there are about 4000 records in one file and 5212 records in another file. And i'm using merge stage to merge these two files on one id. But it is taking more time to load infact the datastage is strucking in the middle without giving even one error or warning.

I would like to know about how to tune this job to run faster?
OR
How can i do performance tuning in DS (Parallel)

I'm using sequential files,transformers,one merge and ODBC stages in my job.

Thanks in advance,
Thanks n Regards,
Jaleel :-)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to get the job to run through before you can attempt to tune it; but with 4000 and 5212 records you should be finished in less than a second - unless your ODBC connection is slowing things down. What is your speed reading ODBC into a peek stage or a dataset? That is going to be your speed limiting factor.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Why use the Merge and not the Join?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With such a small number of rows I'd be inclined to use a server job with a Merge stage. If you must use a parallel job, be aware that the Join and Merge stages both require sorted input (added overhead). A Lookup stage would be preferable.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

First make the job to run without any error. Then post how much time it took to run the job... This should help ...
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar