Invalid UsreID/Password when login DataStage Client

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invalid UsreID/Password when login DataStage Client

Post by pneumalin »

Hi All,
Has anyone encountered similar problem as following:
Login Windows XP PRO SP2 as local Admin, Install DS 7.5.2x(Windows version) server and client in the same machine with valid license key. Then restart the PC, login XP as same Admin ID.
I got the error: Failed to connect to host: localhost, project: UV
(User name and/or password incorrect (80011))
when trying to login DataStage Client using localhost or 127.0.0.1, AdminID/AdminPassword. The error message shows up the moment I click on the Project Drop-Down box, but I remember I did create "defaut" project when installing DS Server. I did check the Control Pannel and all 3 services: Resource Engine, Telnet, DSRPC are running in my XP. I did try to execute "telnet 127.0.0.1" on command line and got the same error, and at the end "DataStage Telnet terminating..." shows up to disconnect the session..

Any idea??

Appreciate if you can shed some light on this if you have ever seen the similar problem...

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried enabling the 'Omit' option?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a strange artifact with Windows XP; even though you're using loopback (127.0.0.1), the operating system still requires that the network card be active for TCP activities to succeed. All you have to do is be connected in a network that can serve an address - even though you're not using it! (All complaints to billg@microsoft.com please.) Even just to an active router will do it.

Checking Omit causes the connection to be made through Windows LAN Manager rather than through TCP/IP, supplying your current Windows authentication. I have not tried it but would not be at all surprised to learn that this mechanism also requires an active network card.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Craig, Thanks for reminder! I did try the Omit option and it worked for me. I just don't understand why this installation ddoesn't work for me while the other works perfectly using AdminID login...

Ray, Thanks for the information! Could you please elaborate on "how to activate NetworkCard for TCP"? Do I have to change Properties of the network card for this? As stated in previous response to Craig, I have no problem to login using Omit, but get choked when login DS Designer using XP Admin ID. Please help!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just be connected to any network that can serve you an address. Then it all works happily. I don't know the cause, but I have to use this technique way too often!
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Ray, Thanks! I know what you mean now, and it works! Thanks again.
steele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by steele »

ray.wurlod wrote:Just be connected to any network that can serve you an address. Then it all works happily. I don't know the cause, but I have to use this technique way too often! ...
To install the MS Loopback Adapter, do a search of Microsoft; there are explicit directions to configure the adapter from the control panel - no install disk needed. Once installed, TCP/IP is always running so there is no problems running DataStage using LocalHost - no need to connect to a network!
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you have trouble connecting to DataStage when you are not hooked into a network try the "Omit" option with a server name of ".". This can work even when "localhost" or machine name or IP address does not work.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Invalid user id/password can also be diagnosed if the server licence has expired but the client licence has not. Just one more thing that you might like to check.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Sorry guys, I forgot to put the solution for this topic. Hope someone else might get help from this update/
I installed Loopback Adapter based on Steele's recommendation, and it works fine so far versus instable DS server connection without it.
Following is the steps to install LoopBack Adapter:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If you are in Classic view, click Switch to Category View under Control Panel in the left pane.
3. Double-click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Next.
4. Under See Also in the left pane, click Add Hardware,and then click Next.
5. Click Yes, I have already connected the hardware, and then click Next.
6. At the bottom of the list, click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
7. Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
8. Click Network adapters, and then click Next.
9. In the Manufacturer box, click Microsoft.
10. In the Network Adapter box, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and then click Next.
11. Click Finish.