Shutdown Procedures -- MASTER OFF ALL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shutdown Procedures -- MASTER OFF ALL

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

Periodically we shut down for maintenance with the following procedure:

1. Broadcast users to exit clients.
2. dssh command: 'MASTER OFF ALL'
3. shutdown DataStage services.
4. Reboot machine.

Doesn't step 3 automatically perform the equivalent functionality as step 2? Does performing step 2 provide a more cleaner shutdown, then skipping directly to step 3?

Thanks,

Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MASTER OFF ALL is user processes (connected clients, running jobs using DataStage repository facilities). The services are the DataStage resource, telnet and RPC services. Not the same at all. I trust you wait for a decent interval between MASTER OFF ALL and shutting down services, as well as making sure no important jobs are running?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your feedback.
ray.wurlod wrote:I trust you wait for a decent interval between MASTER OFF ALL and shutting down services, as well as making sure no important jobs are running?
I guess I originally had thought that shutting down the service would do it's best to make sure that connections to clients were closed in an manner that would preserve the integrity of the repository objects.

What is a reasonable amount of time between 2. and 3.? I guess I expected that if the command returned without problem, that it would be safe to proceed to step 3.

- Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The right amount of time is "till they're all gone". You can monitor with netstat or ipcs (UNIX commands but, since you have 7.5x2, you have a UNIX shell in MKS Toolkit). A Windows/DOS equivalent of ipcs (only for DataStage) is shrdump. Windows/DOS has netstat available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.