Run Time Propagation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anshumangupta1206
Participant

Run Time Propagation

Post by anshumangupta1206 »

Hi All,
I got to know that with Run Time Propagation we can read Structure(Meta Data) for file from one of the file stored in repository. Can anybody help me by providing information about this stored file and how I am change it to cater different file structure each time.

Thanks,
Anshuman
wed
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Run time column propagation doest help you to read from repository but just help to you propagate the metadata used at the initial stage to the target or the end stage as the name suggest.
Datastage is metadata driven, hence its not possible to change metadata during run time. If you need help on changing metadata for each exection, try to do a search on 'Schema file', which may help.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
anshumangupta1206
Participant

Thanks Kumar.
But now my question is , how I can change the schema file in DataStage?Can I change the Metadata of the job without touching the job i.e. with the help of file.
wed
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

Sure. You can change the metadata or column definition for any stage that can use a schema file AND has column propagation turned on. Two huge limitations. I don't have a complete list of the stages where this can be done but have used it on a Sequential stage. It can be done because the schema file lives as a separate file out on the OS and is referenced at runtime. Therefore you can alter this file at will and then run the job.
anshumangupta1206
Participant

hi,
From where i can get the path of schema file as I am not able to locate schema file in my machine.

trobinson wrote:Sure. You can change the metadata or column definition for any stage that can use a schema file AND has column propagation turned on. Two huge limitations. I don't have a complete list of the stages where this can be done but have used it on a Sequential stage. It can be done because the schema file lives as a separate file out on the OS and is referenced at runtime. Therefore you can alter this file at will and then run the job.
wed
jayantthakore
Participant

Post by jayantthakore »

Hi Anshuman,

On your unix box you have to find the Datastage Directory where all these stuff is stored.
regards,
Jayant S Thakore
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Sequential File
File Set
External Source
External Target
Column Import
Column Export
Along with this you can add ColumnGenerator and RowGenerator.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'