Unable to resolve WVARCHAR to DB2 table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Unable to resolve WVARCHAR to DB2 table

Post by MT »

Hi tbtcust

what is the column length in DataStage and in DB2?

I suppose your database hast been created with UTF-8 and this means that a single character can be stored in 1,2,3 or even 4 bytes.
Be aware that DB2 length specifications at the moment are in bytes (and not in characters). This can lead to your mentioned warnings.
regards

Michael
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Hello MT, thanks for the reply

Some columns are as small as 1 and as large as 80. The database code set is UTF-8.

I understand what you wrote. I would still expect the implicit conversion to account for this.

Based on what you wrote, this message will never go away. True?
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi tbtcust
Some columns are as small as 1 and as large as 80. The database code set is UTF-8.
OK - but is the specified length in DataStage the same as in DB2?
For example if you have a length of 10 in DataStage - try using 40 in DB2 ( as a single character could be stored in up to 4 bytes using UTF-8 ).
regards

Michael
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Hello MT,

Yes - "but is the specified length in DataStage the same as in DB2?"

I adjusted the database table column as suggested and received the same warning. I even made column a len of 100 an still the same message.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, are you having any of the issues it is warning you of - data loss, corruption, data truncation or unexpected errors? It's just a warning after all, so could always be demoted via a message handler if everything seems to be working fine.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Hello chulett,

Agreed. There is a larger issue, where I am losing records at insert time and DB2 connector is not rolling back. I will ask this in a follow-on post, once this issue is resolved and if the issue continues.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok... but didn't really answer my question. Does resolving this require solving any of the issues noted or is this just about you wanting to remove the warnings?
-craig

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Apologies chulett,

Right now, I think this issue is causing an issue with records being dropped at insert time (a second issue). Right now I don't know for sure if they are related or not. If we can resolve this one, then I'll know for sure that they are related or they are two separate issues.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Suggestion: drop this issue for now and start a discussion on the "dropped at insert time" problem. Come back here if resolving that one doesn't solve this one at the same time.
-craig

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Will do. Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have a reject link on the DB2 Connector?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi tbtcust,

reading from a file into a DB2 UTF-8 database should be possible without warnings.

Having UTF-8 for the database and as NLS in the DataStage job
you could use the DB2CODEPAGE set to 1208. Make this a job parameter and do not user the extended unicode for the column and it will work without warnings.
At least it does in my environment.

Otherwise - as suggested above - demote it to informational in the director
regards

Michael
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Hello ray, I do have a reject link. Records never seem to land there. High-level, as a test I have the commit set to 2000, load three records. The first and third are fine the second has an invalid date. DataStage throws a warned on the second record, did not load that record, nothing landed in the reject file, the failure did not cause the previously inserted record to roll back, and lastly loaded the third record.

Hello MT, I'm not familiar with 1208 so I looked it up. I have done what you mentioned. The warnings did go away. This DB instance will store multi-languages. With this solution it seems we loss that multi-language support. True?

Also, as a test I left everything as-is and removed extended unicode. and there are no warnings as well.
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Apologies MT, having a Homer moment.

I asked you "With this solution it seems we loss that multi-language support. True?"

My original tests was in English. I reran both test using Spanish language, which included inserts and export from the DB. The results were perfect.

So it seems the solution is to always removed from extended "Unicode" and DataStage will take care of the rest.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi tbtcust

1208 is UTF-8 and this environment variable sets it for DB2.

I would not say that it is always the solution, but in many cases it is.
We have other jobs working well with Unicode extended attribute and it seems it "depends" on combinations used.

Many things can only be found out by trial & error. To be honest - I hate those :-)
regards

Michael