Null Error checking for nulls

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rmcclure
Participant

Null Error checking for nulls

Post by rmcclure »

Hello,

I am having a problem checking for Nulls in a transformer stage using Datastage 8.1

I have a field called FieldOne that comes in from the source.

I have a stage variable (svRejFieldOne) defined to create a flag if FieldOne is Not Null AND the length is not 6 or 7:
If IsNotNull(inFromSrc.FieldOne) Then If (Len(inFromSrc.FieldOne) < 6 OR Len(inFromSrc.FieldOne) > 7) Then 1 Else 0 Else 0

The IsNotNull function works fine in the stage variable

But..
In my output link for any non rejected rows I have:
If IsNotNull(inFromSrc.FieldOne) Then UpCase(inFromSrc.FieldOne) Else inFromSrc.FieldOne

When I run this I get an error:
APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Field 'FieldOne' from input dataset '0' is NULL. Record dropped.

As a test I did:
If IsNotNull(inFromSrc.FieldOne) Then inFromSrc.FieldOne Else inFromSrc.FieldOne
and
If IsNull(inFromSrc.FieldOne) Then inFromSrc.FieldOne Else inFromSrc.FieldOne

In both cases I get the same error. If I remove the IsNotNull function and pass FieldOne as-is to the output if works fine.
Why would the function work fine in the stage variable but not in the output link? Why would the IsNull function fail because the value is Null?

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The first thing I would do is disable operator combination in a test copy of this job, just to ensure that the error is actually occurring where you think it is occurring (you might be surprised in this case, since the code you posted looks OK). Recompile and re-run and see what the new error message is.
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

create a stage variable :
fone : Trim(inFromSrc.FieldOne)
Output Derivation :
If inFromSrc.FieldOne <> '' Then If (Len(fone)) < 6 OR len(fone)) > 7) Then 1 Else 0 Else 0
rmcclure
Participant

Post by rmcclure »

Thanks for the tips. The problem is solved: I noticed the input field was a nvarchar and the output field was a varchar. I changed the imput field to varchar and it works. Not sure why....but it works.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

We have had our experiences with "unexpected" results from Null handling operators in version 8.1. Our work around was to check for nulls using "Len(Variable)=0".