Rewriting Server jobs in 7.5.1 as parallel jobs in 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Rewriting Server jobs in 7.5.1 as parallel jobs in 8.1

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Hello,

For a Data Stage upgrade project, we have to convert a large number of Server jobs to be rewritten as Parallel job. Due to the time crunch for the project, we are even considering whether there are any tools in the market (with aproximate cost ) that can do the conversion. We will then be able to check whether my company has a license for that tool to procced.

Appreciate your help!
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Can you affort to rewrite only the performance intensive and resource limited server jobs - after analyzing how each job would translate into its parallel counterpart? That is the best approach for the short term. IMHO Its a waste of corporate IT finance to convert ALL server jobs to PX - though that would mean big bucks for the company that wins this contract .

Remeber one server job may lead to more than one parallel job - and that needs to be factored in when you consider job controls and sequencers. I dont know of any such tools that automatically convert from server to parallel - and I doubt if something like that exists.

What about custom routines and BASIC functions - many of which would probably need to be rewritten in Transformer C/C++ or included as part of a buildop or wrap stage ? I worked for a client that insisted converting all server jobs to parallel , and they conceded that some server jobs could not be rewritten - due to limitations of resources .
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Rewriting Server jobs in 7.5.1 as parallel jobs in 8.1

Post by ray.wurlod »

sumesh.abraham wrote:we have to convert a large number of Server jobs to be rewritten as Parallel job.
Why?

Server jobs still work, and are not going to go away (not least because sequences are server jobs).

As noted, maybe only attempt the ones that are performing poorly.

There are no tools. Analyse the logic of the server job, and write the parallel job to achieve that logic.

You can buy services (for example from IBM) but you must agree to your job designs and test data being offshored.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Sorry Ray,

Offshored to where? Bangalore???

No harm meant, Sumesh...
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depends who's offering the service.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.