Problems with UNICODE-characters from Oracle-database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't trust what View Data shows you in regard to "un-American" characters. Use a viewer that can display the Euro symbol, accented characters, etc. properly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paultechm
Participant

Post by paultechm »

Apply stringtoUstring(columnvalue,'UTF-8') and make column datatype as nvarchar

View data wont give the correct result ,please check the final out put (file or table)

Thanks
Paul Joseph
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

paultechm wrote:Apply stringtoUstring(columnvalue,'UTF-8') and make column datatype as nvarchar
Hi Paul,
Our DataStage-developer will try this suggestion. I will come back with the result...

Rgds
Jan
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

Hi Paul,
sorry to say: but that didn't help :cry:
paultechm
Participant

Post by paultechm »

whats the value looks like in the table after applying this funcation .

Make sure that datatype is in nvarchar
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

the value looks like an upsidedown questionmark...
Our datastage-developer just told me that this problem occurs only with parallel jobs - but not with server-jobs. Since I'm not a datastage developer I don't have any idea why this makes such a difference. Maybe it's a bug in parallel jobs?
I have opened a SR at IBM - hopefully they are able to tell us why this error occurs only with parallel jobs...

Rgds
Jan
paultechm
Participant

Post by paultechm »

Whats your source and datatype used for reading? Are you checking in view data or table?
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

the source is a database table (as described it's an external table which directly reads from a flatfile).
We have tried all kinds of datatypes: varchar (with and without extended unicode, nvarchar). None of those worked...
paultechm
Participant

Post by paultechm »

Use DRS satge to read the data as varchar in transformer convert using the function and change datatype as nvarchar .
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: People, please...

Stop the love affair with the Reply with quote option. Sure, quote someone when the need arises to make a point or ensure we all know who / what is being responded to but to quote everything all the time? :?

Use the big orange Reply to topic 'button'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
coface
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by coface »

... as a matter of fact this problem only occured with parallel jobs but not with server jobs. Therefore the developer decided to use a server job as a workaround.
Thanks to all who discussed this issue with me..