ade files created in the /tmp folder

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prasanna_anbu
Participant

ade files created in the /tmp folder

Post by prasanna_anbu »

Hi,
As I don't want to use the /tmp, I have created a folder /etl/IS/Temp for processing the temp files.
But still I have seen some ade. files created in the temp folder, I have done the below changes but still I have faced this issue.

1) I have changed the /tmp path in the configuration files.
2) Changed the /tmp path in the UVconfig file
3) Disabled the resource tracker.

Please do the need ful.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check environment variables TMPDIR and, possibly, TEMP.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Did you regenerate the .uvconfig file after changing the uvconfig file?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
prasanna_anbu
Participant

Post by prasanna_anbu »

qt_ky wrote:Did you regenerate the .uvconfig file after changing the uvconfig file?
Yes I regenarated it and changed the TMP_DIR value too but still these files created in the /tmp folder.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Can you tell by the filenames if there's a certiain stage or activity that is creating files in /tmp?
Last edited by qt_ky on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the value of UVTEMP in the uvconfig file?

If it's empty, then the engine will use /tmp for some of its temporary files.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:Can you tell by the filenames if there's a certain stage or activity that is creating files in /tmp?
I'm not sure what Parallel processes would create ade files. I've seen them in the past generated from the shared memory segments RTI/ISD jobs use and also from Server jobs with IPC stages. Assuming something similar is happening here...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I see ade files under /tmp on version 8.5 that correspond with stage types. For example:

/tmp/ade.DS_project_name.ws_DS_job_name.1316215706774.isd_out

It would appear to be coming from the ISD Output stage. For every web service job (parallel jobs) and every ISD Input and Output stage, I have an ade* file in /tmp.

In this case however, it's a new server. We have not yet gone an changed any settings to move away from /tmp. For example, the uvconfig still has:

UVSPOOL /tmp
UVTEMP /tmp

It seems like I ran into this earlier with Lookup stage errors on a 7.x server where we had pointed everything away from /tmp, but I don't recall for sure, especially whether or not "ade" is in the file name under /tmp.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"ade"is a generic identifier in DataStage. User shared memory segments have a key that begins with "adeb", hashed files have a magic number that begins with "adef", and so on. A different identifier is used when an -itag installation is performed.
prasanna_anbu
Participant

Post by prasanna_anbu »

qt_ky wrote:I see ade files under /tmp on version 8.5 that correspond with stage types. For example:

/tmp/ade.DS_project_name.ws_DS_job_name.1316215706774.isd_out

It would appear to be coming from the ISD Output stage. For every web service job (parallel jobs) and every ISD Input and Output stage, I have an ade* file in /tmp.

In this case however, it's a new server. We have not yet gone an changed any settings to move away from /tmp. For example, the uvconfig still has:

UVSPOOL /tmp
UVTEMP /tmp

It seems like I ran into this earlier with Lookup stage errors on a 7.x server where we had pointed everything away from /tmp, but I don't recall for sure, especially whether or not "ade" is in the file name under /tmp.

I have changed above mentioned path in the UV config and regenarte it but still the files are created.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

What are the filenames under /tmp that shouldn't be there?