RCP column order

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

RCP column order

Post by SURA »

Hello all

Just I wish to know how the RCP will pick the columns? in order? or random?

Based on Key columns and then non key columns ?

Thanks
DS User
scope123
Participant

Post by scope123 »

exact colum names is must. it can be any order.
scope123
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Can you explain what you mean by "pick the columns"? Pick the columns when/where/under what conditions???? With a better understanding of what you are asking for, we may be able to give a more useful answer.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Thanks for the comment. I will give it in more detail.

Example: If i need to fetch the data from a table using RCP, just need to pass the connection details and table name. In that case whether the RCP will keep the column order as same as in the table or in different order?

This is my question.

DS User
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

More than likely, although not absolutely guaranteed, the column order returned from the stage will match that of the table being read.

Just a point of education: RCP does not determine the order of columns in a data flow. That is actually determined by the operators (stages) themselves.
In most cases this will be the order in which the columns arrived at the stage's input links, and new columns generated by a stage will be added to the end of the virtual records (regardless of the order listed in the columns tab in Designer). You can see the virtual record schemas (and hence the order of the columns) in the job log by setting the environment variable OSH_PRINT_SCHEMAS=1.

The use of RCP really determines whether or not a modify adapter will be added to the output link during job compilation to keep only the columns defined in the columns tab (metadata grid) on the stage's output links.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Thanks for the clarification.

DS User