writing to AIX sequential files and DB2 concurrently

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

writing to AIX sequential files and DB2 concurrently

Post by Bill_G »

I have a question regarding job design. I am not sure i have ever seen this done in 7.x, but thought i'd ask the masses in case i am just not as well versed in DS as i think OR 8.x brings new functionality that could be leveraged.

If i have a single parallel job - reads data from a database, churns through various transformations and then writes concurrently to both a sequential file and DB2, is it possible to allow for the job to complete to one of the targets should the other fail?

Thanks,

Bill
kogads
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: writing to AIX sequential files and DB2 concurrently

Post by kogads »

I don't think you can complete the write if one of the two fails.
Consider using Funnel Stage (Sequence type), though you can not write concurrently.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

How about having two jobs?
Thanks
Karthick
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Two jobs controlled by a Job Sequence is the way to go, however the requirement is for concurrent load of both the file and the db table. 2 jobs would require that i process the data in the same manner twice.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, process it once only into a staging area (Data Set). Then read from there with separate load jobs. The sequence could then also report on the success or failure of each of these.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Thanks for the confirmation. I appreciate your replies.