Transformer Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saikir
Participant

Transformer Stage

Post by saikir »

Hi,

I believe the Transformer stages are haevy compared to other stages like Copy or Modify etc. Has this changed in IBM InfoSphere DataStage?

In the "Parallel Job Advanced User Guid(7.5.1)", it is written that we shoud use transformer stages sparingly and use other stages such as filter stage, Switch Stage and modify Stage.

However, in the IBM Redbook ""IBM InfoSphere DataStage Data Flow and Job Design", it is written "Use the parallel Transformer stage (not the BASIC Transformer) instead of
the Filter or Switch stages"

Am i missing the context over here or In 8 Transformer stages are lighter then other versions whne compared to switch or filter or copy?

Can any of you please explain as they appear to be contradicting each other?

Regards,
Sai
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

Parellel transformer will take more time to compile as it has to complie the C++ codes.
Regards,
Sajid KP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Things changed between the two releases. The Transformer stage now compiles to an (efficient) transform operator. This was not the case in earlier versions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saikir
Participant

Post by saikir »

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Does this mean that as compared to 7.x, in 8 i can use as many transformer stages as possible without affecting the job performance as in 8 the transformer stage compiles to an efficient Transform operator?

Including simple transformation like dropping columns, renaming columns etc?

Regards,
Sai
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. The advice relates specifically to Switch and Filter stages. The Copy stage is more efficient for renaming and dropping columns than is the Transformer stage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saikir
Participant

Post by saikir »

Hi Ray,

I have one more question. May be i am confused. In 8 i assume that the Transformer stage still generates a C++ code and in addition uses an efficient transform operator as compared to 7.x

Regards,
Sai
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your assumption is correct. You can see this in the job score.