Shared Container and Allow Multiple Instance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saikir
Participant

Shared Container and Allow Multiple Instance

Post by saikir »

Hi All,

I would like to know the differnce between a Parallel shared container and "Allow multiple instance " jobs?

In parallel if i am not wrong, "Allow Multiple Instance" will use the configuration file and run the nodes. So there will no sharing of resources? For Shared container will the resources be shared or how does this work?

Thanks
Sai
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The two concepts are very different. Multiple instances means that the same job can run multiple times in parallel, while the parallel nodes in a PX file define how many nodes the data is partitioned into during a run of a single job. Shared Containers don't come into the equation at all.
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Hello Sai,

a "parallel shared container" has nothing to do with "allow multiple instance". A shared container is a design element that is incorporated into the job at compile time.

"Allow multiple instance" allows you to run the same job several times at once - with a different instance id.

Both concepts have nothing to do with the configuration file, as Arnd explained. The configuration file defines the data partitioning upon specified nodes for a job at runtime.

Best regards
Klaus
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Klaus, long time no see :P
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ditto - the Informix days, if I recall correctly!
:D
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - yep, you are right. But at the moment I'm sitting in an office no more than 2 meters from Klaus ;)