Checkpoint from Job Control

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bkumar103
Participant

Checkpoint from Job Control

Post by bkumar103 »

Hi,
I have a Job sequence which is Checkpoint enabled.
I have a Job Control code to call the Job Sequence. The Job Control code reads the parameter file and sets the parameter to Job Sequence.

The Problem i am facing is when i run the Job sequence from job control, the checkpoint does not work. But it works fine if i directly run the Job Sequence.

Do i need to set any property to make checkpoint work even job Sequence is called from Job Control.

Thanks
Birendra
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From where you run the Sequence shouldn't make any difference. However...

"The Problem i am facing is when i run the Job sequence from job control, the checkpoint does not work."

I have no idea what this means. What exactly does "does not work" mean here? I'm specifically wondering if your job control code is resetting an "Aborted/Restartable" Sequence job and thus removing all of the checkpoints before rerunning it. But you'd need to give more specifics about your issue and what you are seeing before anyone could really help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bkumar103
Participant

Post by bkumar103 »

Hi,
Hope the followings will help to understand the problem better:

1. Suppose a job control "JbCntrl" to run the sequnce Job "JbSequence"
2. JbCntrl reads the Parameter files and Sets the Parameter for JbSequence.
3. JbSequence has many subsequnces and Job in it
4. JbSequence is CheckPoint enabled.
5. When i rerun the JbSequence, the checkpoint works properly means its starts the job from failed point.
6. When I rerun the JbSequence from JbCntrl, the Checkpoint Option does not working means the Process always starts from first in the JbSequence.
Birendra
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Again - check the log for your Sequence job, is it being reset by your job control before it restarts it? If you are unsure, post your job control code.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

That may be because job control does not have internal checkpoint mechanism and hence running in multiple times will work as though you have reset the previous checkpoints.

Also any downstream sequences which has checkpoints are cleared as the main sequuence does not propogate the initiation checkpoints.