DS Lookup issue, an interesting one!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

madog
Charter Member
Charter Member

DS Lookup issue, an interesting one!

Post by madog »

Hi all,

For those DS experts out there, I am facing an interesting issue which you may have come across. although i am assuming you may think this is a typical SIGSEGV problem (which i am not too sure about).

Job Background:
Input: a dataset (sequential execution mode)
reference dataset (sequential execution mode)
Process: lookup (parallel execution mode)
Output: oracle table (sequential execution mode)

Issue: everything works as described above, but if i change the lookup stage excution mode from parallel to sequential, the job abort with SIGSEGV error: Operator terminated abnormally: received signal SIGSEGV. Please explain. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Dump the score for each variant and inspect it, having particular regard to the partitioning algorithms used. Report your findings.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DS Lookup issue, an interesting one!

Post by just4u_sharath »

madog wrote:Hi all,

For those DS experts out there, I am facing an interesting issue which you may have come across. although i am assuming you may think this is a typical SIGSEGV problem (which i am not too sure about).

Job Background:
Input: a dataset (sequential execution mode)
reference dataset (sequential execution mode)
Process: lookup (parallel execution mode)
Output: oracle table (sequential execution mode)

Issue: everything works as described above, but if i change the lookup stage excution mode from parallel to sequential, the job abort with SIGSEGV error: Operator terminated abnormally: received signal SIGSEGV. Please explain. Thanks.
check with warnings coming,sigsegv error comes if there are more warning in the job alos,set warnings to unlimited
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4u_sharath »

check with the warnings also,as more warnings coming than limit this error occurs,change limit size to bigger no and c
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

'SIGSEGV' is the signal thrown when an application makes an invalid memory reference or improper memory handling.

I am not sure why and when this signal comes in your case... :roll:
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
madog
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by madog »

Well, the warning message threshold is set to 'No Limit'

I was wondering is it because Lookup can only handle parallel process, not sequential...?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sequential is still parallel (one-way parallel). The Lookup stage should be able to handle it. Have you constrained the Lookup stage to operate in sequential mode also?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.