Strange Problem With APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Strange Problem With APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

Hi All,

We are facing a strange problem with APT_STRING_PADCHAR environment variable. I can say dangerous variable in DS. I can suggest handle with care.

My Flow is : I am extracting the data by using DB2 API stage in Extract, Where I have one EMP CHAR(6) and DEPT VARCHAR(20) and I am extrcating into Dataset.

I am using the above mentioned in Dataset in one of my derivationLoad job. In that job I am using DB2 EE stage to load the data. So, we have opted APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR (0x20) as a value. Now, the problem starts, from the Dataset mentioned above, we have tried to filter the data in the flow based on EMP CHAR(6) field. My data is not filtering and when we filtered the data with DEPT VARCHAR(20) my data is filtered.

When I changed the value of APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR(0x0) then CHAR field is filtering properly.

If I have used APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR(0x0) then I am facing the problem of Padding nulls when loading the data by using DB2 EE stage.

Can anybody face this type of problem. Please share your inputs.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Why not use APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR (0x20) in your extraction job (the one that loads the DataSet) also? That should make the filter on the CHAR(6) field work as you expect.
------------------
Aneesh
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

thebird wrote:Why not use APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR (0x20) in your extraction job (the one that loads the DataSet) also? That should make the filter on the CHAR(6) field work as you expect.
Hi Aneesh,

Thanks for your reply.

Here my problem is,I can use APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR in my Extract. But, my extract dataset have been used in nearly 10 jobs. So, I am not sure the impact in all those jobs. All 10 jobs are not using APT_STRING_PAD_CHAR
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............