Viewing usage of a dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RohanSharma
Participant

Viewing usage of a dataset

Post by RohanSharma »

Is there any way by which we can find out the which all jobs use a dataset that has been created

I mean that
If a parallel job creates a dataset .
Now we shall be using that dataset across various jobs .

So i want to know that can we determine that which alll jobs use this dataset
by looking at the datset properties
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Best is that you saved the Data Set's table definition from the job that creates it, and loaded that table definition into any subsequent job that uses the Data Set as source. Then the answer is a simple Usage Analysis from the Manager client (or from Designer client if you're on version 8.0).

No information is stored in the Data Set itself pertaining to where it is used. Therefore you can not effect a usage analysis from inspection of the Data Set's properties.

If you have not been diligent in your metadata management, then you will probably need to query the Repository tables DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS. Search the forum for the style of query required; this has been addressed previously.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.