Multiload Plugin - Parallel or Sequential execution mode?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Multiload Plugin - Parallel or Sequential execution mode?

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

Can Teradata Multiload Plugin run in Parallel execution mode?
I don't think it can, although I've heard rumors that it can.

I believe this because of the following:

1. Nothing in the Plugin documentation seems to suggest that any parallel execution functionality. Then again, the plugin documentation doesn't look like it was updated since 7.5 Server.
2. Nothing on the Stage suggests any changed interface since server edition, except for the advanced tab, which sets default execution to sequential.
3. Executing this module by selecting execution mode of parallel causes errors during execution. The errors seem to be caused by several processes to attempt to lock the Teradata Report File and Teradata Control File, resulting in an abort.
4. There does not seem to be any mechanism to control distinct ER table, UV table, WT table, LOG table, a distinct named pipe, control file, or report file.

Can anybody confirm whether parallel execution mode can work?

Your free wisdom is appreciated.

Greg
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Hey!! Look who's a Charter Member!!! :lol:

Free wisdom, I caught that comment. :wink:

I don't have an answer to your query, I just thought I couldn't let it pass that you've joined us on the Dark Side. :shock:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

True parallel multiload from DataStage PX has been achieved by an Ascential pre-sales engineer in Melbourne Australia during a Proof Of Concept. Alas, I did not write down any details at the time - will have to get in touch again to see how he achieved it. As I recall it was several hours of try this, try that, before stumbling on the right combination.

As for whether it would work on 7.5x2 (Windoze), that's an entirely different ballpark!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jguillet
Charter Member
Charter Member

True parallel Teradata multiload

Post by jguillet »

ray.wurlod wrote:True parallel multiload from DataStage PX has been achieved by an Ascential pre-sales engineer in Melbourne Australia during a Proof Of Concept. Alas, I did not write down any details at the time - will have to get in touch again to see how he achieved it. As I recall it was several hours of try this, try that, before stumbling on the right combination.

As for whether it would work on 7.5x2 (Windoze), that's an entirely different ballpark!
Does anyone know of any DataStage Enterprise customer that has gotten the True Parallel Multiload working on Unix or Linux server?
JOHN GUILLETTE
MARKHAM ON