Warning msg when calling server routine in parallel jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dfong
Participant

Warning msg when calling server routine in parallel jobs?

Post by dfong »

Hi all,

We found that if we call server routine in job sequencer, whenever the server routine returns non-zero, a warning message would be logged. How that warning log can be avoid? Cause in most of these calls the server routine would return meaningful values as job parameter to start the following parallel job. Please advice. Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In a job sequence an OK trigger wants the return value to be 0.

Change the trigger to a custom trigger, for example

Code: Select all

RoutineActivity.$ReturnValue >= 0
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dfong
Participant

Post by dfong »

I have tried that but still it logs warning. I have simplified the job sequence to just calling a routine but still it logs warning.

We used to set the trigger to un-condition for routine activities, no matter what it returns we just want the return value to be picked up by a followed job activity as job parameter. I have tried to create custom trigger and make the condition 1=1 but it does help.

What have we missed out here?
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

dfong wrote:I have tried that but still it logs warning. I have simplified the job sequence to just calling a routine but still it logs warning.

We used to set the trigger to un-condition for routine activities, no matter what it returns we just want the return value to be picked up by a followed job activity as job parameter. I have tried to create custom trigger and make the condition 1=1 but it does help.

What have we missed out here?
We're using a server routine too...
The routine would return a logically valid return value - but datstage expects this value to be 0 to indicate successful completion.

How you handle this condition hereafter is entirely based on ur design
and how u want to handle it

If you cud post the sequence design and what u need - it wud be of help
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

U is a common name in Burmese but not an English pronoun.
Cud is something chewed by ruminant animals.
Wud probably rhymes with cud, but doesn't mean anything.
Ur was a city in Mesopotamia thousands of years ago.

To help those who do not have English as a primary language can you please avoid these SMS-style abbreviations? Do you use them in your documentation?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

In DataStage 7.5.1 I've stopped using the routine stage and I only use the Variables stage to call routines that set values. The routine stage is expecting a true or a false, it's not expecting a value field, it should be used to return success/failure/warning rather then string/date/integer values.

U Shud fined Variables is a betterer stage.
dfong
Participant

Post by dfong »

Unfortunately we use routine stage at our job sequence quite often currently. A typical usage would be using a routine stage to call routine which retrieve a value from a configuration hash file, for which the retrieved value would be used by another jobactivity as job parameter. So it is uncommon for these routines to return non-zero values such as a file path, username connecting the database, etc.

Using variable stage sounds good and indeed we have done couple of experiments with that yesterday. But the problem is how we can get set the variable values without using a routine stage and pass it as return value?
dfong
Participant

Post by dfong »

Stupid me. Simply calling the routine at the expression of the uservariable stage should be able to resolve the problem. I would try it out. Thanks.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Think of the UserVariables stage as a code window broken into a grid. You can just go ahead and use the right mouse click menu within the derivation column and choose any type of function, routine, macro, system variable or job parameter you want. Also concatenations, strings, substrings etc. And just like a routine stage the returned values of UserVariables appears to stages in subsequent links.