Warning message from Teradata Enterprise stage on read

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Warning message from Teradata Enterprise stage on read

Post by bcarlson »

We have been using DS with DB2 for a long time and are now starting to use Teradata.

I just created a simple program to test connectivity from our Teradata database. It is a read, using the Teradata Enterprise stage, to a dataset.

I can read the table okay, but get the following warning in the log:

Teradata_Enterprise_0: There will be some skew in the usage of the server because the number of players (3) is not evenly divided by the number of available nodes (8). [terareadop.C:439]

Our system:
Unix - IBM AIX 5.21on a P650
Database - Teradata V2R5.1, 1 physical node with 8 amps
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This really belongs on the parallel forum.

The message is clear; it's alerting you to the fact that, because of choices you made (that is, to use three players), some players will be handling a greater workload than others.

To get an even workload from eight nodes, specify a whole divisor of 8 (for example 2 or 4) rather than three.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Sorry about the server vs. parallel forum, didn't realize where my message was being posted. Is it possible to move the posting?

As for the player config, how do I specify how many players to use?

We use DB2 and DataStage a lot, and I know that we have a configuration that was setup the described the DB2 environment. However, when I looked at the documentation on using Teradata with DataStage, I couldn't find any information about configuration. Is this documented somewhere and I just missed it?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The $APT_CONFIG_FILE specifies your node information, and detailed information is in the documentation, I would suggest starting on page 43 of the Parallel Job Developer's guide and progressing from there.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

How is the number of players related to the number of nodes? We have a number of different config files with node definitions ranging between 8 and 12 nodes. Here's a sample:

{
node "myserver" {
fastname "myserver"
pool ""
resource disk "/mydir/DataStage_work/1" {}
resource scratchdisk "/mydir/DataStage_scratch/1" {}
}
node "myserver-2" {
fastname "myserver"
pool ""
resource disk "/mydir/DataStage_work/2" {}
resource scratchdisk "/mydir/DataStage_scratch/2" {}
}

... etc., etc.,
node "myserver-8" {
fastname "myserver"
pool ""
resource disk "/mydir/DataStage_work/3" {}
resource scratchdisk "/mydir/DataStage_scratch/3" {}
}
}

So we have more than 3 nodes defined, but only 3 players are being used. No matter which configuration I use, only 3 players are used and I get the same warning everytime.

I've looked at the documentation (both the PJob and Mngr) before and again now, but I don't see what I am missing. And unfortunately, there isn't anything Teradata-specific in the config file docs.