PX job failure ..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sivatallapaneni
Participant

PX job failure ..

Post by sivatallapaneni »

Did any one see this error at the run time.
This is a simple PX job which has a OCI stage user defined query to fetch data and put into a sequential file.

Code: Select all

>##F TFCM 000011 09:19:10(000) <main_program> Requirements Failure: Null arg.
job works fine in DEV(i mean when i connect to DEV database), when i try to connect to TEST database it is giving me this error, any thoughts would be really appreciated. And DBA says there is nothing different from DEV.

Thanx,
Siva.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

I hope you are not handling null properly before writing in to Sequential file.

Thanks
Man
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Dev works, Test doesn't?

Can you access Test using the same parameters on the command line from the same server DataStage is located on?
sivatallapaneni
Participant

Thanx for the reply...
Yes, i can access the database using a native connection from command line in datastage server. Does any one know whether we need to have the oracle client ver installed for the database version we are trying to connect. apparently we are trying to connect to TST which is oralce 9i and dev is 8i.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Siva.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Make sure your Oracle configuration is correct. Look at your environment settings on the log and ensure that you're pointing to the right client.
sivatallapaneni
Participant

environment is pointing to 8i client same as in dev. I wish i could resolve this issue though, This is driving me crazy. We opened a ascentail ticket 5 days back and they couldnt figure out what is happening.

Siva.
sivatallapaneni
Participant

Do we need to have 9i client installed on the datastage server to get the PX jobs to work.

on our dev box we have mutiple oracle client including 9i. but the oracle_home is set to 8.1.7 on both DEV and TEST datastage servers.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Suggestion: Use the same Oracle environment in development that you will be using in Production.

There are not only several major changes between 9i and 8i that breaks the program. There are even versions within 9i that breaks DataStage itself (For example, if you use 9.2.0.3+, Oracle's method of interpreting NULL is vastly different than the earlier version. It broke DataStage 6.x, requiring a patch.)

Seriously, stick to a single Database version between Development, Test, and Production.

Which would you rather do? Try to figure out what this problem really means (and it's an expensive proposition -- I'm sure a consultant would nail the solution in days, but they charge a pretty penny doing so) -- or avoid the risk by remaining on the same version, and completely ensuring that your program will behave correctly across platforms? It's the same thing with your operating system -- if you have different operating systems, well... you're gonna have compatibility problems that will give you a severe migrane figuring out.