Number of Projects

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Number of Projects

Post by SURA »

Hi there,

In the recent days, getting good number of small projects which is having less than 10 jobs in total per project. Another 5 more projects are in pipeline.

I am not sure whether it is a good idea to create a separate project irrespective of the project size

or

should i keep all these small projects as a folder in a common project?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The call is yours. At runtime there is no difference in how they get executed. Each project has a certain amount of disk space overhead (create an empty project and see how big the directory is) but apart from that it is a matter of preference.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

The only real limitation is the filesystem itself. Each project have its own directory with a whole bunch of files and directories within. I would suggest having a Project for a specific purpose in your organization. Yes, you can use a single project for everything, but like many ancient databases, the Universe database do slow down when there are an increasing number of content in each Project. You would not notice much until you get into the thousands of jobs (or hundreds in a single folder).
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

It will be more of a Political battle then a Technical one.

Shared projects across multiple teams is trouble.

Project variables need to be coordinated because "MyPassword" variable means something different to each team.

You also have issues with security groups. Maybe they can't all have access to the same data because of Politics.

It's just plain not a technical issue. (barring a massive quantity of jobs in the project)
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

It is actually very rare for a project to get corrupted based on my observation within IBM Support. But it does happens. The key is to do backups when customers are NOT editing or have any open sessions for that project itself.

(or just extract to DSX/ISX and use that as your backup.)

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the real world projects do become corrupted, because people do not pay attention to having enough disk space (for example putting disk and scratchdisk resources on the same file system as the projects, and by whatever means allowing the disk to fill, or by not purging logs so that they exceed their default 2GB limit on size).

Avoid doing these things, and manage your system well, then Teej's "rare" can become your "never".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think depends on the sensitivity of the data in each project and the anticipated future security needs. If future support will be handed off to other teams, then create separate projects.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius