@RECORD Array to Column

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

@RECORD Array to Column

Post by zulfi123786 »

Hi,

Spent quite a time seraching the forum, I want to read entire content of @RECORD from DS_JOBOBJECTS for specific OBJIDNO as one column.

Tried the below in Universe stage

SELECT DS_JOBS.NAME, CONVERT(@FM,"",@RECORD) AS RECORD FMT '5000L' FROM DS_JOBS, DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE DS_JOBS.JOBNO = DS_JOBOBJECTS.OBJIDNO AND DS_JOBS.JOBNO='7978';

it looks like Convert is not being recognised

[DataStage][SQL Client][UNIVERSE]DataStage/SQL: syntax error. Unexpected symbol. Token was "CONVERT". Scanned command was

any help is appreciated
- Zulfi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why would you think CONVERT would work here? You're mixing... what's it called... UniVerse RetrieVe / SQL syntax with a DataStage function. Sorry, not sure what the answer is off the top of my head but that's not it.

I think Rocket Software has all of the old UniVerse manuals available for download, all of that crazy stuff will be in there somewhere. :wink:

Aha! Found them:

http://www.rocketsoftware.com/brand/roc ... se-v11.2.4

Note that it's not ALL applicable since (from what I recall) DS is built on an earlier code branch with changes not listed here but I believe the majority of it should be relevant.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

CONVERT is not available as an SQL function, but you can include it in an EVAL expression. RECORD is a reserved word in DataStage/SQL, so I've replaced it with ENTIRE_RECORD. I'd also process the other potential dynamic array delimiter characters.

Try

Code: Select all

SELECT EVAL "CONVERT(@FM:@VM:@SM, '~}|', @RECORD)" AS ENTIRE_RECORD FMT '500L' FROM DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE OBJIDNO = (SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE JOBNO ='7978'); 
I've left out repeating the job name (which is unchanging) on every line of the report.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:CONVERT is not available as an SQL function, but you can include it in an EVAL expression.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.
-craig

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

As usual can't thank enough Ray :)

I came across something unusual (atleast to me)

Non existent entries in DS_JOBOBJECTS for a job that runs every day in production

>SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE  DS_JOBS.NAME='RDM006dDimDiagnosisCompareTL_td'
SQL+;
No...

1 records listed.
>SELECT EVAL "CONVERT(@FM:@VM:@SM, '~}|', @RECORD)" AS ENTIRE_RECORD FMT '5000L' FROM DS_JOBOBJECTS  WHERE DS_JOBOBJECTS.OBJIDNO=(SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE  DS_JOBS.NAME='RDM006dDimDiagnosisCompareTL_td');
CONVERT ( ( char ( 254 ) ) : ( char ( 253 ) ) : ( char ( 252 ) ) , ~}| , @RECORD )

0 records listed.
>
Its a healthy job that runs with no issues, for a moment wondered if its due to importing only executables but I can see the job design via designer.

The issue here is our script that fetches job details which use/create a file (passed as parameter) is unable to pick this job up and there are over a thousand jobs in the project hence cant perform a manual search.
- Zulfi
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You are correct. If you only import executables then this will not work because DS_JOBOBJECTS is not populated. You need to do these searches in DEV. This is one of the flaws of not importing job designs.
Mamu Kim
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Hi Kim,

The job does have design information as I can see it in the designer.
- Zulfi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What happens if you

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE OBJIDNO = '3664';
?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

No records selected :(

>SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE OBJIDNO = '3664';
COUNT ( * )

1 records listed.
- Zulfi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then it appears that you will need to extract your design information from the common metadata repository.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Are you taking about XMETA Ray ?

Also, isnt this an issue ?
- Zulfi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

XMETA is only the conventional name - it can be called whatever you like. My current site, for example, uses schema name suffixes to discriminate DEV, TEST and PROD. That's why I prefer to call it the metadata repository.

As for your "isn't this an issue?" question, I can't see why, apart from the fact that the metadata repository database structure is not documented; it's still open (you can DESCRIBE table contents). In newer versions there are also some meaningfully-named views that help you to extract information from the metadata repository, as well as commands such as IAAdmin and RepositoryAdmin.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Guess its time to start using metadata repository instead of Universe for more accurate information.

Not sure if anybody has figured out a way to get similar report (one fetched by scanning entire DS_OBJECTS record for searching something) with metadata repository.

you know what I am looking for, could you please share what manuals to look into (if this is documented) to get started.

I remember there were around 800 tables/view in metadata repository (v8.0), things would have been easy if the data model was available.
- Zulfi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not documented though Ray does note your options there.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oh, the data MODEL is available. Just go to Model View in Metadata Workbench.