Space issue for XMETA_DATA tablespace

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Space issue for XMETA_DATA tablespace

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Hello all,

We are seeing issues with XMETA_DATA tablespace in the Dev Data Stage server. Only 1% is free and even after DBA adding 800M to the tablespace, it is used up quickly. I removed lot of test jobs that team created, but when I query the available space it did not have any change.
What are the other things that I can perform to claim space in this tablespace?. We don't have DataStage jobs running on the Dev server via a scheduler and from the initial investigation it does not look like any specific object is taking up much of space. We don't see this issue in Data Stage Prod server.

Appreciate your help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For grins... what database vendor?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Hi Craig,

The database vendor is Oracle.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nothing is ever deleted automatically from XMETA; rather things are marked as deleted.

There are some cleanup scripts; check with your support provider to get the script names for Oracle.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you storing your job logs in XMETA? These will consume a lot of space. That space can be cleared by purging the logs.

Best practice is not to store job logs in XMETA but, rather, to store them locally in the DataStage project.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Check the Information Server Web Console for any special or custom detailed logging (tracing). If it is turned on for too long, it can eat up the repository space. I saw this happen on a PMR one time. Detailed logging was enabled while reproducing a problem, and then left on. Within a few days, XMETA ballooned up and filled the disk.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

I did an immediate purge for as many as 75 jobs and then queried the free space in XMETA_DATA tablespace. It has not claimed any space. That leaves an impression that the job logs are not stored in XMETA.
How can I check whether the logs are stored in XMETA?

I checked the Information Server Web Console for any special or custom detailed logging. Under 'Log Management' in web console, I can't see any detailed logging enabled.

Now, before contacting IBM support and trying to get the cleanup scripts for Oracle, is there any other thing that I can try to free up the space in XMETA?.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use the Administrator client.
Check each project's properties on the Logging tab.
Make sure that "Enable Operational Repository logging" is NOT checked.

(If you are on an earlier version than 8.7, you will need to check in each project's DSParams file for RTLogging and ORLogging settings. ORLogging should be 0 and RTLogging should be 1.)
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Good catch. Thank you. I checked the development project and "Enable Operational Repository logging" was checked. I just unchecked it.

In production, this was disabled and there has not been any issue.

While further space issues could be avoided in Dev, is there any tables in XMETA_DATA that I can clean up directly via SQL without causing any issue to the repositoy access?.

Thank you all for the great suggestions given. Appreciate it.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short answer? No.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers