Need datastage development efforts advice

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Santhinisankar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Need datastage development efforts advice

Post by Santhinisankar »

Hi,
I am working on Datastage ETL estimation. The details I have is I have 100 source tables and the ETL architecture is

Source --> staging--> EDW--> Data Mart. EDW is in 3rd normal form and datamart is in Star schema. The complexity of the jobs to be considered is complex-20% , medium-30% and simple 50%. There are specific requirement to implement data quality like standardization and de-duplication. The version of datastage we are using is DS 8.7. Do not have much details. please suggest rough development effort estimate in PDs for ETL and Data Quality ? What would be the rough percentage of estimate between ETL and Data quality estimates ?
Sankar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How good are your developers?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Santhinisankar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Santhinisankar »

average. Have 2-3 years of experience
Sankar
Santhinisankar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Santhinisankar »

Any suggestions/advice please ?
Sankar
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
1.This is too complex to answer on 1 foot.
2. You might want to hire a consultant for this, since it will take an effort to estimate.

Good Luck.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You need a rough estimate for each type of job. Next you need to know how many of each type you have. I would estimate each landing point separately. So do not count source to data mart as all one thing. I would also separate dim jobs from fact jobs. I always count lookups too. I bump my estimates for less experienced developers.

1. Dim: Source => Staging (3 days) (# tables)
2. Fact: Source => Staging (5 days) (# tables)
3. Dim: Source => EDW (4 days) (# tables)
4. Fact: Source => EDW (6 days) (# tables)
5. Dim: Source => Datamart (5 days) (# tables)
6. Fact: Source => Datamart (7 days) (# tables)

The days are not accurate. You need to guess or build one job to figure it out. Build a prototype. Now you can bump these numbers up for more complex jobs or add 12 more rows for complex and medium jobs.

Lookups make the jobs more complex and that is how I figure out what is more complex. You may need to change your estimates based on testing (unit,QA and UAT). This can get too complex to be useful if you don't keep it simple.
Mamu Kim
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

In addition you can check this blog post which is very instructive on development time estimation.

Eric
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just been to a presentation at IOD where a quite competent team reported a multi-week development effort around a series of a few dynamic ETL jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Santhinisankar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Santhinisankar »

Ray could you please elaborate on this ?
Sankar