Issue with stopped jobs by terminate sequence

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Issue with stopped jobs by terminate sequence

Post by sumesh.abraham »

I am seeing an issue with rerun of sequence job (with few new business logic implented) which got aborted forcefully by terminate sequence activity.

This is how the job flows. A master sequence sequence job executes 4 jobs. Our of these, 2 jobs unconditionally trigger a sequence job. There are 2 other jobs that executes unconditionally. This is the existing flow that is in place for a while. All the job activities are defined with Execution action as "reset if required, then run".

When the sequence got aborted focibly by the terminate seq (sending STOP requests to all running jobs), I see that the sequence that gets called by 2 of those jobs in STOPPED status. Hence, the subsequent rerun gets aborted telling that "Sequence is aborting due to previous unrecoverable errors. There are stopped jobs"

When I manually reset that failed stopped sequence and rerun the master sequence, it completes successfully.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, not seeing a question here. Can you be more precise about the issue you are trying to solve here?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Sorry if the post was vague. The question is why the rerun of the master sequence gets aborted indicating that there are stopped jobs in child sequence that it executed in the the previous run. I would expect that when the Execute Action is mentioned that reset if required, then run then all the stopped jobs by the terminate sequence activity will be reset and there won't be any issue on master sequence rerun.

Please correct me If I am wrong. Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's only true if ALL the Job activites are set to "reset if required". Do check this.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Thanks for the reply. All the job activities are set to have action as "Reset if required, then run"
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Is the status of your child job sequence "Stopped" or is it "Stopped/Restartable"?

Mike
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

The child sequence has a status "Stopped/restartable" and the job in the sequence has "Stopped" status. When I restart the master sequence job, it fails with error
Controller problem - Error calling DSRunJob
Code = -4
Timed out waiting for an event
Please advise what should I check further. Thanks!
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

sumesh.abraham wrote:The child sequence has a status "Stopped/restartable"
I don't know about 7.5, but in 8.x a job sequence with a status of "Stopped/restartable" isn't (restartable that is). My guess would be that the parent sequence doesn't reset the child sequence when it is in that status.

I only see a "Stopped/restartable" status when I do manual stops, so that "feature" (aka bug) hasn't concerned me.

Why not wait for jobs to finish before terminating the master sequence? They are independent from the activity that is aborting, so why stop them and lose whatever work they have accomplished?

Mike