DB2 sequences and transactions

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 sequences and transactions

Post by PhilHibbs »

We have DB2 sequences to control allocation of surrogate keys, but we need tens of thousands of keys at a time so we use ALTER SEQUENCE to increase the sequence value. It turns out that the NEXTVAL and ALTER commands cannot be wrapped in a transaction since the ALTER command is DDL. I would have expected that the chance of a clash (where process 1 requests NEXTVAL, process 2 requests NEXTVAL, p1 issues ALTER SEQUENCE and then p2 issues ALTER SEQUENCE) should be vanishingly small but when the database is heavily burdened p1 gets stuck waiting for the ALTER and then p2 catches up so what should be highly unlikely is raised to an almost certainty.

We are planning on fixing this by explicitly locking a table that exists only for the purpose of acting as a semaphore to prevent two such processes from getting into contention in this manner.

Can anyone think of an alternative mechanism for this? It needs to be robust in that we don't want an aborted job to leave the semaphore "on", the table lock gives us this as the database will clear the lock when the connection is terminated.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, I don't know squat about DB2 but don't sequences there support the caching concept that others like Oracle do? Specifically, if a sequence will need to be leveraged in large chunks (like your tens of thousands at a time) then you set a high cache value and the first NEXTVAL call reserves that many. A call to the same sequence from another process would get the NEXTVAL past the reserved cache and establish its own cache.

Am I understanding that you have to manage that manually with your ALTERs? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

chulett wrote:Sorry, I don't know squat about DB2 but don't sequences there support the caching concept that others like Oracle do? Specifically, if a sequence will need to be leveraged in large chunks (like your tens of thousands at a time) then you set a high cache value and the first NEXTVAL call reserves that many.
We thought about this but the number of required values could be anywhere from just a few to over 250,000 so this wouldn't really be practical. We'd run out of the ~2,100,000,000 values before the prefix increments at the start of each month.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Would it help to use a BIGINT (64-bit) instead of an INTEGER (32-bit)?

DB2 BIGINT range is -9,233,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

qt_ky wrote:DB2 BIGINT range is -9,233,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.
Our surrogate keys are BIGINTs, with the first 6 digits being YYYYMM, then a 4-digit supplier key, then a sequence generated by the database taking up the remaining 9 digits so no, we can't increase the size of the sequence value.
Last edited by PhilHibbs on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would guess in DB2 like Oracle you can create a trigger on insert that populates an ID using NEXTVAL in the sequence. Then it can become transparent to DataStage. Not sure how well it would work in parallel. Have you tried anything like that?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

qt_ky wrote:I would guess in DB2 like Oracle you can create a trigger on insert that populates an ID using NEXTVAL in the sequence. Then it can become transparent to DataStage. Not sure how well it would work in parallel. Have you tried anything like that?
We need the surrogate keys to be generated before we hit the database.

marking as "workaround" because we implemented the table lock semaphore.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

PhilHibbs wrote:
qt_ky wrote:DB2 BIGINT range is -9,233,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.
Our surrogate keys are BIGINTs, with the first 6 digits being YYYYMM, then a 4-digit supplier key, then a sequence generated by the database taking up the remaining 9 digits so no, we can't increase the size of the sequence value.
Ooh, I just had a terrible thought! Our application will fail in the year 9224! I better raise that on the risk register.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

PhilHibbs wrote:Our application will fail in the year 9224! I better raise that on the risk register.
Good point!

You know, you're wasting a lot of digits by limiting the first 6 to YYYYMM. More efficient is MMMMMM for month number starting at year 0 going up through year 83333. :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I do the same at my current site. I use something like this

Code: Select all

select NEXT VALUE FOR sequenceowner.sequenceobjectname, 'X' from sysibm.sysdummy1

The 'X' becomes my dummy key to do a lookup on and get the key. This keeps the sequence object in sync as well.
Now since this is a sparse lookup it will become really slow for massive amounts of incoming data. For that I stick the same " NEXT VALUE FOR sequenceowner.sequenceobjectname" in the derivation of the column from the db2 stage itself and that takes care of it.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.