Error handling

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeet_81
Participant

Error handling

Post by jeet_81 »

Hi All,

I am developing a sequence job which has got 5 job activities which calls 5 different parallel jobs. Now is there any way to capture the errors/warnings for the 5 different jobs in the sequencer job so that I can build my error message and throw it.

Hope I have made it clear what is the requirement.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You would need to create a custom routine to go get whatever error messages you wanted from the logs of the jobs the sequence ran. Up to you then how you "throw" it after that. If you don't need the details but just the high-level list of what failed, that would be in the log of the sequence itself.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

You would need to create a custom routine to go get whatever error messages you wanted from the logs of the jobs the sequence ran.
That's kind of expensive.

No wonder in our place, no matter how many jobs you can run in parallel, when put into a job sequence, we don't let then run in parallel but sequentially. Is that the actual reason?

Let me ask this way,

I need my 5 job activities which calls 5 different parallel jobs to run in parallel, wait until they all finish, then start next group of concurrent parallel jobs if all finished OK, otherwise abort the job sequence.

It is possible?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's a completely different question. :?

Have you tried putting the five Job Activity stages in the Sequence with no dependancies between them? Run them to a Sequencer set to 'All' with their trigger expressions set to 'Ran OK' and the next set of Job Activities would only run after all five had completed successfully. Lather, rinse, repeat for the next group.

An 'Otherwise' trigger from each could handle the error path, perhaps even using another Sequencer set to 'Any' to act as a funnel.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers