connect to datasources issue

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alexcol
Participant

Post by alexcol »

Good evening.

Im new to Datastage and i wanted to know how to connect to diferent datasorces and targets.

i've been finding out documentation and i know there are 3 main files need for odbc configuration.
i checked out these 3 files in the production system
Then i tried to connect to any of those datasources using the datastage command language (/bin/dssh) i've got an error:

LOGTO sqls_pRDdTMTsQL
"sqls_pRDdTMTsQL" is not a valid account name

or when i use the command ds_connect which list all DSN available but it doesnt show anything because there are no aditional entries in the uvodbc.config file.

i already edited the .odbc.ini file: and ive got the necessary information information like this

[SQLS_PrdDtmtSql]
Driver=/datastage/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib/VMmsss23.so
Database=dm1_dabse
LogonID=usr_dwh
Password=usr_dwh_2009
Address=192.168.2.33

maybe im wrong but the question is:
1.using the command language shell /bin/dssh is intented to connect to any datasource or target?
2.if so can i use select statements in the datastage program language
3. which comamnd explicitily i must type to connect to the datbase dm1_database with the information provided in the .odbc.ini file
Id appreciate your help, thanks
ALEJO
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

LOGTO is used to connect to an internal Project (aka 'account') not an external ODBC datasource. To test out your ODBC connections you really should be using a DataStage job and one of the ODBC stages rather than any 'command language' or activities at the TCL prompt.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. Not correct, though the DS_CONNECT test utility is used from this environment.

2. Once you've invoked DS_CONNECT successfully you are acting as a client to the ODBC-connected database, so can enter SQL statements that are legal for that environment. (Use the .Q command to exit from DS_CONNECT.)

3. Assuming that the DSN is defined in .odbc.ini and mentioned in the uvodbc.config file for the DataStage project or DataStage engine (if there is none in the project) then the command to connect to the DSN (assuming that you're in the dssh environment within the DataStage project) is

Code: Select all

DS_CONNECT SQLS_PrdDtmtSql
You will be prompted for user name and password.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alexcol
Participant

Post by alexcol »

The scenario is:
all the datastages jobs run in a one server i.e 10.80.16.40 (unix server) but the teradata databases server are located in 10.80.4.20

So Under this environment and according what you have explain to me in the above message, in datastage there is not a "interactive" way to connect from unix (10.80.16.40) to teradata databases server databases and use the required sql sentences?.

what im intended like for example in unix and oracle platforms simply typing sqlplus user/paswd@databasname
ALEJO
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All of the ODBC connection information, including hostname/IP address, should be in the .odbc.ini file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.