Code/Impact analysis tools: IN-COM's Smart TS XL

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Code/Impact analysis tools: IN-COM's Smart TS XL

Post by FranklinE »

We are going to do an evaluation of this tool, briefly and rather inadequately described at http://www.in-com.com/Products/tabid/62/Default.aspx. IN-COM claims built-in support for DS code. I request opinions about this tool from any source and any level of exposure to it, even rumors if you have them.

My point of comparison is the Micro Focus app Revolve, our everything-mainframe source code analysis tool. Don't worry if you're not familiar with it, but if you are further opinions on that basis are welcome. We have already evaluated Micro Focus' intended replacement for Revolve, Modernization Workbench (MWB), and they were iffy about importing DS code.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Never heard of it......let us know what you find out. Thanks for the link...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Once you get to version 8, such tools are directly available in DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

ray.wurlod wrote:Once you get to version 8, such tools are directly available in DataStage.
That's good to know. The part I didn't tell you is that our shop wants a one-stop place for all of our code, mainframe, browser, various flavors of SQL and DataStage.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

A DSXchange file upload was just brought to my attention: http://www.dsxchange.net/uploads/Impact ... ART_TS.pdf

We are preparing to migrate to 8.5 from 7.5, and 8x has a "new" format called ISX. I don't know anything about it personally, but I've been prompted to ask: Will 8.5 continue to support DSX, and does/will Smart TS XL support ISX?

Our Smart TS XL evaluation is scheduled for the week of April 4th. I'll post updates from my experience with it. Anyone who can prompt me with intelligent questions to ask SEA's reps during the evaluation is very welcome to post or contact me separately.
Franklin Evans

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Franklin...

It would be interesting to know your site's goals. Is it for inter-dependencies between the offerings? Parsing of actual source code? Or just identification of it? Tools like this might be perfect for deep cross-searching of actual "source code" entries like "PROFIT_PCT", especially when deep scanning of native source code is a requirement.

Determine also your user requirements ...is it for the developer or the developer teams...or end users, or both?

Those answers, within your site, will probably help you put the correct focus on the tooling and improve your evaluation.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

eostic wrote:Hi Franklin...

It would be interesting to know your site's goals. Is it for inter-dependencies between the offerings? Parsing of actual source code? Or just identification of it?
The lazy answer is all-of-the-above.

Our shop covers so much it would take me another 30 mintues to list everything. The analogy that comes to mind is a buffet that has the same choices everyday for meat, vegetables and salad, but one could have a dozen or more combinations of choices and not repeat oneself until the 13th day. Our impact analysis needs go hand-in-hand with knowledge transfer to succeeding development teams, retirement of code planning, even keeping track of code that was retired.

We've got layers. Sometimes they look like a parfait, sometimes like an onion. :lol:
Franklin Evans

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not to be trifled with, then.
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I notice you didn't mention business users. That's fine, every site has unique needs, but it's worth noting that a lot of companies are starting to look at lineage and tracking of metadata from the business user's point of view......so that answering the "where did this value on the report come from" becomes the overriding goal for everything they do with metadata and definitions, above and beyond "source code" management and integration. You may want to look at tools like IN-COM's, in addition to some larger "information governance" focused tooling.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Hi Ernie. Before I forget again, thank you very much for your input on this.

We have a fairly well-defined division of work here. Our business clients are all internal, and we have an organized (always use that word carefully) liaison for requirements and testing called the business system analyst (BSA). Clients generally are not expected to even understand what they are looking at from the IT point of view (and the vast majority of them don't have the academic background, even). The BSA bridges the gap in both directions, with IT folks often woefully ignorant of the business functions we are obligated to support. I can't exaggerate how much my life as a developer has improved since the BSA role was established here.

The clients do have metadata analysis needs. Smart TS XL claims to support document repositories (Word, Excel). If we purchase that or a similar tool, I know some people who will jump on the chance to improve their situation with it.
Franklin Evans

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

This isn't a place to do "selling", so I don't want to sound like a marketing slide.... but I'd still strongly encourage you to take a look at what release 8 has to offer in terms of business and data lineage and governance over your metadata, primarily with Business Glossary and Metadata Workbench.

Even in conjunction with tooling like IN-COM, the hybrid might deliver exactly what you are looking for ....and more. Feel free to contact me offline if you want to discuss it further.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!