Training for certification

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Stephen Parker
Participant

Training for certification

Post by Stephen Parker »

Looking for recommendations for basic DataStage training. I've joined out Enterprise Integration Team and need to get up to speed on DS, but we're so busy, it's difficult to get peer training. The IBM courses seem expensive, but perhaps it's worth it, if it can lead to certification?
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

IBM provides 2 training courses for DataStage.

1. DataStage Essentials
2. Advanced DataStage

Both of these courses would help you get to the Certification level.

But if you feel these courses are expensive, I would suggest that you google for DataStage documention and also check for IBM Redbooks on DataStage. Even older versions of DataStage (7.1, 7.5) documention that are available on the internet should be good enough for you to get started.

Once you go through the documentation and start developing few jobs you can come back to DSXChange - an excelllent site for DataStage Developers at all levels. You can have your queries and issues answered here and trust me you will come to speed in a short time.

HTH
--Rich
IBM Certified DataStage Solution Developer | Teradata Certified Master
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Sorry, I disagree slightly with some of the above statements.

First of all, the training will give you enough information to be a decent starting developer, but no-where near enough information to be certified for release 8.

If you go through the courses and then get enough experience to understand the material in the IBM Redbook called DataStage Data Flow and Job Design you'd have a better chance of passing certification. Many of the certification questions for 8.0 use topics that are covered in that Redbook and the Parallel Developer's Guides (Regular & Advanced).

Also - 7.5 documentation should not be used for the 8.0 certification - it skips enough that it could cause you to fail. However, if you look on the IBM website, much of the documentation for 8.5 is freely downloadable in PDF format.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

On-line mock certification exam

Post by evee1 »

Hi, I'm also in the process of preparation for the certification exam for 8.5. I have been using DS for few years, but there are still plenty of topic I'm not familiar with. I'm going through the Red Books and the documentation at the moment.
I was also under the impression that there was a mock on-line test on the IBM site (under the "Test your knowledge prior to taking the test" banner), but I can't find it now. Was it jus really my impression only, or was such an option available, but was removed?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The sample test was there - indeed still is - for the DataStage 7.5 certification exam. For the newer versions you can do a "ten dollar" trial exam - more items, taken under proper exam conditions (through Prometric).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

My former post on this topic might be helpful to prepare for this certification:

viewtopic.php?t=136901
evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by evee1 »

Thanks cppwiz. I have already found and read your thread and it was very helpful. I took advantage of the Take It Again promotion, so I feel a bit less stressed.
I also downloaded some 130 test questions and can actually come up with the correct answer to many of them ;-). So I'll try to do my best and see what happens....
evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by evee1 »

Thanks for all the suggestions! They must have helped as I have passed the exam!! Having achieved that I now know what areas I need to study more :-).
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Congratulations! Time to update your resume with your new certification. Are you going to order the printed certificate to hang on your wall? It's really nice and only about $12 US.
evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by evee1 »

Thank you. I think I will pass on the printed certficate just now. PDF will do :).
Jboyd
Participant

Post by Jboyd »

I see that people keep referring to the practice test through prometric:

http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/sam421.shtml

Every time I go to this link it takes me to the IBM site and the only option through the link is the study guide that contains 11 questions. I was wondering if there are any other steps I can follow to get to the practice test. Do i need to be logged into IBM or anything?

Any further direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Yeah, IBM has really hidden the practice test, but it is still there. See this topic for the link:

viewtopic.php?t=141935&highlight=