Migrating from 7.1 to 8.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migrating from 7.1 to 8.5

Post by richdhan »

Hi All,

We are planning to migrate from DataStage 7.1 to DataStage 8.5 on IS.

I have already searched the forum and also googled to find some good inputs and materials.

But I want to know for sure if the migration can happen directly from 7.1 to 8.5 or if there would be an intermediate migration to 7.5 and then to 8.5. Pls advice.

TIA for all your inputs.

--Rich
IBM Certified DataStage Solution Developer | Teradata Certified Master
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Directly is OK. But you'll need rather more hardware capacity for 8.5 than you needed for 7.5: the extra is taken up with an extra database server (DB2, Oracle or SQL Server) for the common repository, and an instance of WebSphere Application Server to supply the services tier. With version 8.5 you can also move to a 64-bit architecture, which means that most things are bigger.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Ray,

Did you mean - "Directly is OK" for 7.1 to 8.5 or for 7.5 to 8.5. From whatever I investigated so far the migration from 7.1 to 8.5 happens in 2 stages - 7.1 to 7.5.3 to 8.x. Pls advice.

TIA
--Rich
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi Richdan

Starting from 8 you have some useful features like :-
1. use parameter set instead of parameters

Hence my advice would be to change to some of the good features when moving to 8.x

Regards
Sreeni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Directly is OK for 7.1 to 8.5. It is not necessary to upgrade to 7.5 first. Equally it's not wrong to do so, if you want to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Directly is okay and you can use the 8.5 Migration Assistant for a safer upgrade. I put some screenshots into this blog post.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Ray and Vincent, Thanks for your inputs.

Vincent, I already googled your blog post - an excellent blog for migration. But not sure if the Migration Assistant would be robust and what if we would run into problems using this new tool.

Thanks once again - Rich