"Empty DSN: list returned from host XXX" Windows

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peterveenis
Participant

"Empty DSN: list returned from host XXX" Windows

Post by peterveenis »

Hello,

I did the installation of DataStage 8.5 here with no problem. The only problem I have is that I can't import Table Definitions via ODBC. I get the error: "Empty DSN: list returned from host XXX"

Step by step what I did to solve this problem:
1. Create System DSN
2. Open DataStage, Import -> Table Definitions -> ODBC Table Definitions
3. Select Drop Down list for DSN -> I get the error "Empty DSN: list returned from host XXX"
4. We tested the connection in the Control Panel -> ODBC, this was successful
5. I looked up this error in Google and came to this site and some other sites from DSXchange=> viewtopic.php?t=135000&sid=dc2275e084d1 ... 2379c934fa
6. I edited the uvodbc.config file, without any result (this was the answer for *NIX environments)
7. I checked the driver versions. But on my laptop the same version just worked.
8. I also checked if the driver was a 32 bit version. It is indeed a 32 bit version.

Note that is a Windows 2008 R2 environment with DataStage 8.5.

Import via plugin works fine, but it is slow (takes 20 minutes) and it only takes max 5000 rows.

Could anyone help me with this?

Kind regards,

Peter Veenis
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. Did you edit the uvodbc.config file in the DSEngine directory or the one in your project directory? (It should have been the latter.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peterveenis
Participant

Post by peterveenis »

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. Did you edit the uvodbc.config file in the DSEngine directory or the one in your project directory? (It should have been the latter.) ...
Yes, we both tried without success. But what I understood from these forums that file should be changed only in LINUX/UNIX environments.

I also tried on my laptop and it fills automatically those files if you add system DSN's. That's not in Windows 2008 R2
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, on most Windows platforms uvodbc.config is populated automatically when Import > Table Definitions > ODBC is selected. But, as you note, it seems not to work when the operating system is Windows 2008, hence my question about editing the file.

If uvodbc.config in the project correctly refers to a DSN, that DSN has been created as a System DSN, and the DBMSTYPE in uvodbc.config is ODBC, then it should present that DSN in the drop-down list. If it does not, you need to contact your official support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mceccaro
Participant

Post by mceccaro »

Is a bug Datastage that looks for 32-bit ODBC connections!

Workaround:
In win 2008 r2 64bit should force the creation of the DSN 32-bit (64bit creates them by default) by running the% systemdrive% \ Windows \ SysWOW64 \ Odbcad32.exe.

You should see the DSN in the import table definition

bye Max
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why would it be a 'bug' for a 32bit application to look for 32bit drivers, the only ones that it can use? Still, thanks for posting that solution.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mceccaro
Participant

Post by mceccaro »

I say 'bug' because I have the same problem in:

Server Windows 2008 R2 x64 (64-bit) environment with DataStage 8.5.