Migration from IIS 8.1 installation to IIS 8.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arvind_ds
Participant

Migration from IIS 8.1 installation to IIS 8.5

Post by arvind_ds »

Hi Experts,

Is it possible to migrate IIS 8.1 installation to IIS 8.5? Our current setup is a 4-tier architecture with below details.

(1) Client Tier : Computer A (Windows XP)
(2) Services Tier with colocated engine : Computer B(AIX 5.3)
(3) Separate Engine tier : Computer C (AIX 5.3)
(4) Metadata Repository tier : Computer D (AIX 5.3, Oracle 10g)

I cross checked on IBM's site (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21445403) but could not find any relevant stuff over there except for sending a mail to IBM for details.Although I have already sent a mail to IBM, still I would like to know if some one on this forum has any experience of IIS migration.Thank you.
Arvind
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Since 8.5 just started shipping, I suspect there's no-one that can specifically address this at the moment. I know IBM's official answer is "Yes, you can do an upgrade in-place from 8.1 to 8.5." however, I don't know anyone that has actually done that.

I will be doing one of these upgrades in January for a client, but plan on doing a "clean install" upgrade, not an overwrite upgrade.

One note, IBM Customer Service has recommended putting not putting the Metadata repository on a different box. In your case you should probably put it with your services / co-located engine. I suspect the high volume of log entries on some systems puts a strain on network response times.
Last edited by asorrell on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have no direct experience (only done clean installs so far), but the Installation manual for 8.5 says you can. My first upgrade is in January but the repository, services and engine tiers are all on one machine in this case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

During last IOD I talked to one person from the concierge program about the migration process from 8.1 to 8.5. He strongly suggest that I contact them by the email provided, stated below, to help me with the migration process

He explained that they use like an export/import process, a two stage process he called it. First they export your 8.1 environment and then import all or part of this to the new 8.5 environment. This process is not simple and should be designed to your specific environment

Here is the concierge program email: concierge.program.is85@us.ibm.com
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Looks like IBM has not documented/published the migration path from Version 8.0.1 and later to Version 8.5

Below is the installation instruction provided in the "readme-migration.txt"
To migrate from IBM InfoSphere Information Server, Version 8.0.1 and later versions, see http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21445403.

Not much information there either. (Looks like they want you to contact them individually :x )

Problem(Abstract)
For more information about migrating your existing DataStage installation or InfoSphere Information Server installation to InfoSphere Information Server, Version 8.5, please send an email to concis85@us.ibm.com. You will be contacted with information and assistance to complete your migration.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
cdp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cdp »

asorrell wrote:One note, IBM Customer Service has recommended putting Metadata Repository on the same box as the engine if at all possible. I suspect the high volume of log entries on some systems puts a strain on network response times.
Hi Andy,

I thought IBM's recommended approach was to keep the Metadata Repository and the Services Tier on the same box. This was based on a best practices topology diagram where high availability was not a requirement but simplicity of installation and scalability were important.

Apologies if I have this wrong, is this a new recommendation for 8.5

Thanks...Jonathan
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Thanks - just noticed your response and you are correct! In this case when I wrote "engine" I meant his "services tier with co-located engine"! I edited it to clarify!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

narasimha wrote:Looks like IBM has not documented/published the migration path from Version 8.0.1 and later to Version 8.5
For more information about migrating your existing DataStage installation or InfoSphere Information Server installation to InfoSphere Information Server, Version 8.5, please send an email to concis85@us.ibm.com. You will be contacted with information and assistance to complete your migration.
The migration process for IIS 8.5 is indeed documented in the Information Center for Information Server 8.5 at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... /index.jsp
Look in the Installing topic for the information.

Migrating to IIS 8.5 is nowhere near as simple as the migration from 8.0.1 to 8.1 was (where you could do a true migrate-in-place). Consequently, the Concierge program was created to assist in this. They should contact you soon.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The concierge program is to help you with a new migration tool which picks up other things like DSParams values, Information Server and product roles, scripts, and so on.

They (IBM) are possibly releasing this tool to general availability late in 1Q2011.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

Thank you all.

I managed it.

(1) Un-Installed existing IIS 8.1

(2) Installed IIS 8.5 from scratch.

Thank you so much for your input.
Arvind
tcheslav
Participant

Post by tcheslav »

Hi

I have experience :)
I sucessfully migrated 8.1 to 8.5 on 3 server tier architecture.
I have installed 8.1 and 8.5 in parallel, both versions working fine...

If anyone have any questions I will gladly answer.

Regards
Tcheslav
MaliniLakhani
Participant

Post by MaliniLakhani »

the concierge email may have changed. I found isconcierge@us.ibm.com in one of the tech notes.