Is there a way to give someone read-only access in 8.1?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asorrell

Is there a way to give someone read-only access in 8.1?

Post by asorrell »

I have a client that wants read-only access in production for the developers. If I remember correctly the lowest level of access is "Computer Operator" role, which still has the ability to run jobs. They want a complete lockdown of the environment that would allow end-users to only look at logs (and maybe read-only access to jobs). Only the admins could run jobs.

I'm not certain that there's a way to do that. Any ideas?
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There have been discussions here about ways to deliver the logs in such a manner as to allow people of lesser importance (i.e. developers) the ability to view them, but I don't know if you want to build something like that. There have been other discussions around permissions lock-downs such that only your admins could successfully run jobs, others would technically still have the ability to attempt to run them but the locked down permissions would mean any such attempt would immediately fail.

I do not believe there is an existing role that allows any kind of "look but not run" access. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Very good suggestion for next release
:)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's already in the current release. Job logs can be viewed through the Reporting console.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

So... Is there a way to setup access so they can see the Reporting Console without getting at least "Computer Operator" (which gives them ability to run jobs in Director)?
Andy Sorrell
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That was my next question, but figured I'd let you ask that one Andy. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Andy,

What if the User is a DataStage Suite User (DataStage and QualityStage User) but is not mapped to any of the roles that are available in DataStage Administrator (1.DataStage Operator 2.DataStage Super Operator 3.DataStage Developer 4.DataStage Production Manager) then he should be able to view the reports but cannot login into any of the DataStage Clients.

Iam not sure if this works. Just a wild guess.

HTH
--Rich
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I'll try it later today...
Andy Sorrell
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Ok - this works. It gives a developer access to logs (sort of) and no other access to production.

1) Set developer's id to "Suite User" - should already be done if they are in product on any system!
2) Do NOT give them any roles on any projects in the production system - this will prevent them from opening any of the fat clients on the production system.
3) Have the administrator setup several reports that pull up information from the logs. Grant the developers access to update and run the reports.

I'm still concerned that this will not give developers access to data on the production system - and at this site most of the aborts are due to junk in the feeds.

Any suggestions?
Andy Sorrell
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Provide a separate client (e.g. TOAD) for them to have read-only access to the production data?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi Sorrell, That looks to be a great idea of how to give minimal access. I will also try to implement that.
Regards
Sreeni