DataStage 7.5.2 MVS

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rjhcc
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage 7.5.2 MVS

Post by rjhcc »

I'm starting phase two on a huge DS MVS project. It's quite the opposite of what most folks experience in such environments. We have a STRICT requirement that the data NEVER leave the mainframe. We tried the USS version running on the mainframe but it failed proof of concept and was quite buggy.

I don't see very many posts for MVS edition on the site and searching returns little. We are doing SERIOUS heavy lifting here and have an architecture that works well using Java and MQ.

I already have a million questions and will be posting heavily as we proceed into the development phase.

My questions are:

1) Is there anyone out here on DSXange with some deep MVS experience?

2) We are also looking for some resources with DS MVS experience, anyone out there?

3) Ray-my mentor-I respectfully ask for your guidance here! Have you worked with DS MVS? I know, probably a silly question...LOL

I only make this post because it is my understanding from a reliable source that few copies of DS MVS have been sold and fewer are actually in use, meaning resources are slim and experience even slimmer.

I appreciate any input or comments.
rjhcc
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes I have worked with MVS edition, albeit some time back. It is a COBOL generator and quite easy to use, in that it has comparatively few stage types. It also generates JCL to compile and execute the COBOL it generates. All of what it does can be customized/tuned by editing the JCL templates.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rjhcc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhcc »

Ray, thanks. I somehow knew with your experience that you had used it. I did a project using it myself and had great success. I do fully inderstand the JCL/Cobol code gen and the process for running.

This project is going to require much thinking out of the box and I'm trying to pre-greese the process. We are looking at many possiblities. I would like it if they could set up an MVS special section.

Anyway, for all things past and present, I owe you a huge steak or fish if I ever get down under!

Thanks.....also, let me know if you know any availab le US developers. I'll post the proper forum later today when I fet a moment.

Love doughnuts.....and cherios......LOL
rjhcc
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All the US-based developers I know can be found right here on DSXchange.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Even non-us based ones occasionally drop in. I worked on the original Prism product as well when it was ingested by Ascential 8)
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

rjhcc...

DataStage MVS Edition has "fewer" sites, although the total number would probably surprise you. Over the years there are sites doing pure COBOL work who prefer working with a COBOL generator, and/or in addition have serious restrictions about data staying on the mainframe. MVS Edition continues to be supported, had major additions to it for IMS in the release 7 timeframe, and is fully supported on v8 for meta data and the new graphical search abilities.

Like Ray, it's been a long time since I've used MVS Edition in earnest, but will be glad to be a sounding board for any ideas that you have.

You might be interested in knowing that we now have support for z/Linux. Not a COBOL generator, nor a "special" implementation like the USS version --- this is a full blown SUSE linux based Information Server...with all the parts and pieces --- DataStage Server, EE, InformationAnalyzer, QualityStage, etc. "Just linux". Of course, the site needs to be committed to z/Linux. But it offers simply another platform for us and is proving to be very interesting to z sites who want to get extra mileage out of their mainframe iron and prevent their data from leaving the mainframe platform.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
rjhcc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhcc »

Ernie,

Thanks for the offer-I accept! I'm glad to hear about the metadata, wasn't sure about that one, but we may have just increased the value for phase 3.

Have a great weekend, have to go catch my flight!
rjhcc
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

eostic wrote:Like Ray, it's been a long time since I've used MVS Edition in earnest, ...
Ernie
:lol:
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

yeah..that was kinda funny. Didn't realize it until I sent it. ;)
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>