internal storage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mcs_suman
Participant

internal storage

Post by mcs_suman »

Does data stage has internal storage place to store data.
suman
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

On a temporary basis, yes. Datasets. That will be stored in DataStage internal format, in the resource disc. They are the most efficient way in terms of space, read/write efficiency to store data. You also have hashed files, file sets and sequential files.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities - J.K.Rowling
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In parallel jobs you don't really have hashed files readily available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mcs_suman
Participant

Post by mcs_suman »

could you explain me about data stage internal format.
suman
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As much as possible, in parallel jobs, we strive not to use internal storage (that is, not to touch data down to disk), as this slows things down. The structure of data in memory is given by the record schema that you can see in the generated OSH and the score. The same structure is used in Data Sets. Numeric values are stored in binary formats, while variable-length strings have a prefix showing how many characters there are in the string. If NLS is enabled internal storage is Unicode, if NLS is not enabled internal storage is "eight-bit ASCII".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.