Best Practices for IDOC Load

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sundrop
Premium Member
Premium Member

Best Practices for IDOC Load

Post by sundrop »

I'm working with a test version of the R/3 PACKs and I'm trying to load some data into SAP using an IDOC. One of the fields that are required to load the IDOC is not available from the source but the field is required for the load of the IDoc. The field I need is available on the target SAP system. I don't see a lookup stage available for a server job. Can you use the lookup stage against tables in SAP? If not, can you recommend the best approached to accomplish this? Can I call a BAPI at the field level to query for the information needed?

:wink: I'm new to DataStage and SAP so please forgive me if I'm not asking the question correctly?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could call a BAPI, but performance would be woeful.

A better approach is to build the lookup table locally to your job, in a hashed file. This will offer best performance. Only populate the hashed file with those columns that you actually need in the job, and only extract current rows from R/3 (again to minimize the volume of data).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sundrop
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sundrop »

Would I use the ABAP extract stage to build the lookup locally to my job?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably. If something already exists to perform the extraction, use that. Otherwise ABAP is the easiest way to do it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.