UNIX Forums

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

newby
Participant

UNIX Forums

Post by newby »

Hi,

Been trying to find a UNIX forum, ideally one good for shell scripting. I tried registering at UNIX.com as it seemed quite a good one. However, you can only search and post if you're a member; when I tried to sign up the email it sent me to validate my account was duff!

I knwo this isn't a DS query but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

J.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, don't know of any. I find a good reference book and the occassional Google get me by... that and the help of any local uber-scripters.

And as long as you don't get all crazy on us, we'll help here too. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote: And as long as you don't get all crazy on us, we'll help here too. :wink:
A good laugh in the morning :)
I concur with Craig's advice. Its better to go through a good book for shell scripts. Get it right from the core. Start building small snippets of code. For specifics, google will help, etc etc.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
newby
Participant

Book

Post by newby »

DSguru2B wrote:
chulett wrote: And as long as you don't get all crazy on us, we'll help here too. :wink:
A good laugh in the morning :)
I concur with Craig's advice. Its better to go through a good book for shell scripts. Get it right from the core. Start building small snippets of code. For specifics, google will help, etc etc.
Just ordered the O'Reily Shell Scripting book (50% off on Amazon.co.uk!) so hopefully that will help. No doubt be pestering people on here though! Thanks for the offer of help - much appreciated.
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

Just to give you some Idea,

Here are some good links which I have got during my search.... hope will help you as well

http://mercury.chem.pitt.edu/~sasha/Lin ... e216.shtml

http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Awk.html

http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/unix/unix_cmd.html

etc.....
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I give away a shell help file and a vi one. Just some notes I have put together over the years. Follow my link to my tips page.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Also, Ken has a "Unix Survivor Guide" on his home page. Go to www.kennethbland.com
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
newby
Participant

Post by newby »

Just checked back - thanks again for all the links. I'm sure I'll find everything I need there. That said, thanks to re-prioritisation I no longer need to write the original script! Arghhh!
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

The "Unix Programming Environment" by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike is my all time favorite, it pays attention to the small things we generally tend to overlook.