Low performance in the access the Informix

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: Don't use a database stage for a lookup. Period. I don't care what database we're talking about, it's the least performant way to do that.

Use a hashed file. They are the heart and soul of Server jobs, so leverage them. And before you ask - no, there's absolutely no reason to put all 20M source records in it first. Put only what you need there for each run. Load the keys from your source file into a work table and use that to constrain your build sql for the hashed file.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You missed my point... and it's not impossible, but if you want to believe that, fine.

Work on tuning the reference lookup query then, perhaps an index is in order to supprt the query? I don't believe you have any choice but to use ODBC for Informix, so do your best to make the reference lookup query as 'performant' as possible.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Load your file into a temp table and do a sql join. See if that works out for you.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Already suggested that. :wink:
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote: [/i] Load the keys from your source file into a work table and use that to constrain your build sql for the hashed file.
Ahh, now I see. I am going blind... :(
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
RAI ROUSES
Participant

Post by RAI ROUSES »

Thanks chulett and DSguru2B, it reduces the process time. We first extract from Informix table the data that we need to flat file, and then pass to hash-file. It reduces our time in 40%.

Thanks for your support

Rai
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Excellent. :D
-craig