Sequence and User Variable Activity stage during restart

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence and User Variable Activity stage during restart

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
I was curious what the behavior is when a sequence restarts. Specifically on the User Variable Activity that is before the job failure.
For example...we have 2 jobs followed by the user variable activity followed by 7 jobs. If the job 6 after the UVA aborts and we reastart we assumed that the UVA would not rerun on restart.
During one of the failures it appears it is rerunning but we do not see anything in the director log for this.
what is the behavior on the UVA stage on restart?
Thanks - - John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm not aware of any special 'restart rules' for the UVA stage so I assume it follows all of the normal rules. Meaning, once it has been 'checkpointed' it will not run on restart and you would override that behavior by enabling the 'Do not checkpoint' property. But it's been quite a while and things may have changed (or be broken) in the latest release. Hopefully someone has direct experience with this who can chime in.

Out of curiosity, what behavior do you see that makes you think it is rerunning?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi Craig,
We had the sequence initially kick of at 9:39 PM and one of the jobs aborted. We then restarted the sequence at 11:39 PM and one of the variables in the User Variable stage uses the macro DSJobStartTimestamp for an assignment. We found that one of the later jobs that ran the second time around and uses this variable had a timestamp of when the sequence ran the second time on restart:
jpSeqStartTimeStamp=2017-01-30 23:39:19

where we were assuming it would keep the value from the initial failed run.
jpSeqStartTimeStamp=2017-01-30 21:39:00

I also noticed that the UVA stage does not have a checkbox for 'Do not checkpoint' property.

Thanks - - John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

JPalatianos wrote:I also noticed that the UVA stage does not have a checkbox for 'Do not checkpoint' property.
Was wondering about that... gonna have to defer to others on this one.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

....As far as I know, that's the default behaviour since they were introduced. User variables are re-evaluate each time due to the lack of check point property
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thank You for all the responses...I will ask IBM if there is any way to override this behavior and post back to the chat when I hear back.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

you can work around it with 2 UVs ... the first one is "normal" and in-between you can dump them all to a flat file, the second one gets them from the flat file, and the flat file writer can be check-pointed. If nothing else works, this might.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

This is the right view. Macro-based variables always evaluate at runtime, regardless of previous values in a restart scenario. Any such value that you must retain on restarts needs to be saved and referenced where needed upon restart.

How you do that will be complicated. Please post about your efforts and results.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

The other way is you can back the "then" value out of the job log and force it through somehow, which may be minor or major hassle depending on the design, number of values affected, and such.