Some users can't log in to DS7.5 after a restore

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Some users can't log in to DS7.5 after a restore

Post by bcarlson »

We are in the process of recovering from a snafu in our dev environment in which about 75-100 projects were deleted wholesale from our DS7.5 directory structure, many DS libraries and executables were deleted and about 1TB of data was lost from a dev filesystem. No, we don't know how it happened yet... still investigating.

We restored DS7.5 projects from backups, as well as the lost binaries. We can get DS running, and some people are able to log in and others are not. They get:
DSR.ADMIN: Failed to add user to UV_USERS file.
ACCESS DENIED: Internal SQL error. Failed to register this user for SQL.
Their ids belong to the dstage Unix group, 100% of the permissions in the Project directory are open for dstage group, the dstage group has developer permissions. I can get in with my own id just fine (same group permissions). Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a problem with the DataStage SQL Catalog, particularly the UV_USERS file. You are probably registered as a DBA. As a test, please try the following with one of the user IDs that is giving problems (logged in as yourself or dsadm).

Code: Select all

GRANT CONNECT TO username;
GRANT DBA TO username;
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Okay, granted permissions. Having the developer give it a try. Will let you know.

Thanks!

Brad.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

That did the trick. Thanks!

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just encountered this error on an 8.5 system. Turned out the underlying problem was the fact that the root file system had become full, because /tmp was mounted on / and developers had been using /tmp for all kinds of stuff, primarily the ODBC trace file (and didn't bother to switch tracing off). Also, machine logs were being written there because the TMPDIR environment variable was set to /tmp.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.