ODBC vs Plug-in stages

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC vs Plug-in stages

Post by nsm »

Hi,

I just started working on IIS 8. Until now I am under the impression that Plug-in stages are faster than ODBC stage.

is that changed in IIS 8?

My client is using ODBC connector/ODBC Enterprise even when they have Plug-in stages.

Please let me know which is better.
Also what's the new features in ODBC Connector stage?

Thanks
nsm.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe that generalization of ODBC being "slower" is still valid. I prefer "native" stages but some folks are not willing to install the database clients they need on the DataStage server. What's new should all be documented in the release notes.
Last edited by chulett on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And then, Connectors (particularly) and Enterprise stage types are supposed to be faster than API (plug-in) stage types. So please be wary of assuming that what was true in earlier releases remains true in new releases. "They" do a lot of work on identified bottlenecks.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nsm »

Thanks Chulett, Ray.

I have source as Sybase and Target as DB2.
So are you suggesting to use ODBC connector, ODBC Enterprise instead of sybase Enterprise, Sybase OC(not sure what this is)?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Sybase OC (Open Client) stage is a native stage for Sybase, probably more suitable to Server. Me, I'm not suggesting anything. You and yours need to decide what is appropriate to use.
-craig

nsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nsm »

As I didn't have Sybase stages setup, I can't even test Sybase OC stage vs ODBC connector. I can see them in the palette but Sybase databse conectivity is setup as ODBC connection so I can't connect to Sybase using SYBASEOC.

what I am trying to get to is performance wise and usability wise which will be better? so that If SYBASEOC is going to perform better then probably I will have the admin do the setup.

nsm.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You would need to have your admins install the Open Client software for Sybase. That and make sure it is a supported version, from what I recall 12.0 and 12.5 are supported. :?
-craig