Talking to SQL Server 2005 with DataStage Server 6.0

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iansta
Participant

Talking to SQL Server 2005 with DataStage Server 6.0

Post by iansta »

Guys,

Is it possible to connect to SQL Server 2005 via datastage 6.0 server. I would image that I would be okay even if through ODBC.

Thanks

Ian
Ian
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you tried it?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
iansta
Participant

Post by iansta »

No, I've not been able to try it. I need the information as part of a matrix that we are putting together for a client to justify there upgrade to v8.

They are moving to sql 2005 but have not yet got implemented.
Ian
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't understand. Or are you after a "no" answer to help justify the upgrade?

At one level ODBC is ODBC so, if you have the appropriate driver, then DataStage is just another client application. On the other hand, DataStage 6.0 may only support ODBC 2.0 protocols, which may limit some of the functionality available in later, ODBC 3.0 drivers.

Without a copy of DataStage 6.0 ready to hand to test I really can not offer any cogent advice, hence my earlier question.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
iansta
Participant

Post by iansta »

No, I'm looking for confirmation of my thoughts that as long as the right ODBC driver is in place, version 6 will be able to connect to SQL 2005. Not being able to try it myself means that I'm theorising so if someone has done it already it proves the theory.
Ian
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's essentially my thoughts, with the caveat given in my earlier post.