Reasons for moving to version 8 from 6.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iansta
Participant

Reasons for moving to version 8 from 6.5

Post by iansta »

Guys, I'm putting together a case for moving from 6.5 to version 8 of ds. My advatages are better support, compatability with other products,
Option to use both parallel and server jobs
Faster
More transformations avaliable such as slowly changing dimensions
Better connectiviy
Enterprise packs
Medata Data Server
Improved SQL builder

Reasons for Staying on 6.5
No leaning curve
If its not broke don't fix it
smaller footprint

I would be greatful if you would let me know of anything else you can think of.

Thanks

Ian
Ian
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You do realize that your 'Option to use both parallel and server jobs' comes at a price? If all you have licensed at the moment is the Server component, then an upgrade to the Enterprise Edition (which is what gets you PX) is neither free nor cheap. The upgrade to 8.x (with again just Server licensed) would be covered under maintenance, I assume.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
iansta
Participant

Post by iansta »

Craig, Yes I realised that there would be a license/training cost to moving to the Enterprise addition. Can you thing of any more advantages of 8 over 6.5?

Thanks

Ian
Ian
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not much for server-only sites. Connectors and parameter sets: good for new development, no value for existing jobs.

Most of the goodies are for parallel jobs - as Craig says, that's a whole new licence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
iansta
Participant

Post by iansta »

Okay guys, its proably contained in another post, but what advantages would they get by going enterprise, apart from scalability, more transformations, the strategic product, etc.

Cheers

Ian
Ian
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Metadata Workbench - they are getting cross product impact analysis and data lineage working. Wait for 8.1 for column level though - currently it is at the table level. Version 8 is harder to install as you need a database and websphere application server in addition to DataStage. Information Server Blade fixes this - you get the hardware with the software already installed and running. Parallel sorts can be over a hundred times faster than server sorts, enterprise database stages can be up to 250% faster than server edition API stages. That's before you add the advantages of running in parallel.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's hundreds of thousands of advantage$ for IBM, too!
:wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.