ProfileStage

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

aaikat
Participant

ProfileStage

Post by aaikat »

I am a new user of Profilestage.I want to analyse(column,table) a xls file with ProfileStage.I have created an ODBC connection for that xls file.Now while importing the xls (through 'Load Database Meta data') I am getting error as I am not able to provide any information other than DSN Name(like username,password,schema etc).Please help.

Also please let me know if this is not the correct procedure then how to do that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What table name are you using? Most ODBC drivers for Excel treat worksheet names as system table names (you need a trailing "$"). Check also that your DSN correctly selects the pathname of the workbook (the XLS file).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aaikat
Participant

ProfileStage

Post by aaikat »

I checked that the xls workbook path has been correctly mentioned while creating the ODBC.Yet in 'Load Database Meta Data' dialog box after choosing the ODBC DSN when I go for 'Select Tables', the list does not show all the sheets as tables.Only a few of them are shown.

What could be the reason,plz help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Some ODBC drivers for Excel don't like worksheet names that contain spaces or are otherwise non-conforming to ODBC naming rules. The worksheets themselves must be in strict columnar format with the first line containing column headings that also conform to ODBC naming standards. If any of these conditions is not met, then the driver may not pick up that worksheet. The fact that it is picking up some suggests that the driver is working OK, and that your worksheets may need slight modification. ODBC requires that names begin with an alphabetic character, containing only alphabetic, numeric and underscore characters, and are not more than 18 characters in length.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.