ProfileStage polished?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

ProfileStage polished?

Post by tcj »

Just thought I would share my thoughts with the forum.

Is it just me or do other people think that the ProfileStage product isn't as polished as some of the other products in the Ascential range?

I have been using QualityStage and ProfileStage for the last few weeks and it seems to me that ProfileStage just doesn't seem to be complete. It seems to still have a few problems that need to be fixed before it is a complete package.

Haven't had anywhere near the amount of problems with Profilestage as with Qualitystage.

Anyone else feel the same about the product? Or have you had success straight out of the box?

Cheers

Tim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

While it's true that improvements are needed (that's true of any software product!), I believe the main problem people have with ProfileStage is the clunky way it forces you to follow through the various phases one after another, and the less-than-intuitive steps you need to go backwards to re-run an earlier phase. That said, though, how to make it more intuitive?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

Ray I was talking more along the lines of the problems I have encounted with ProfileStage. Stuff like getting an error trying to view the sample data. Data sample creation in progress error when trying to run table analysis after the column analysis has finished days ago. Other generic errors when trying to run table analysis.

I am ok with the process that needs to be followed in ProfileStage. I haven't had these sorts of big problems with QualityStage or DataStage.

I was interested in what other peoples opinions were on how robust ProfileStage was for them.

Tim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've always felt ProfileStage and QualityStage are the two GUIs that were the most difficult to use. Which is probably why they both get completely rewritten in the next releases.

ProfileStage is a good profiling tool for a project team due to the controls over the stages in profiling. If you are after a user friendly ad hoc profiling tool then competitors such as Discovery and Axio can look better out of the box.

QualityStage never really made it to a client/server design and never had a complete GUI front end. The local Access repository and the plethora of text files made it awkward

It will be interesting to see the new QualityStage front end in the Hawk release and the new Sorcerer Data Analyser.