IA - Doubts in procedure for adding DB entry in .odbc.ini

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

IA - Doubts in procedure for adding DB entry in .odbc.ini

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Hi
While trying to "Define a Data Connection" in the IA, i'm finding the "Connector" as empty, I did some search, before i request the admin
to make the changes, i just want to be sure of the procedure of changes

Can anyone please confirm it?

Step1: Add the "IADB2" and other database entries in the .odbc.ini file in DSHOME.
Step2: Add the below entry in uvodbc.config
<Database Name>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC
Step3: Copy the uvodbc.config file inside the ANALYZERPROJECT directory

Few Doubts
-------------
1) After the step1, should anything needs to be done, in order for the .odbc.ini changes to reflect, ( like refreshing or restarting datastage server)

2) whether adding the "IADB2" database entry in .odbc.ini file is mandatory , for the ODBC to appear in the "Connector" Drop down

3) In step2, should we have to make a entry for all the databases in uvodbc.config file for each entry we are adding in the .obbc.ini file

Cheers
MJ
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should create uvodbc.config entries.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Hi ray, thanks for responding...

Can you please elaborate on what you said?, i'm not getting it.

1)what other entries need to be added in the uvodbc.config file?

2) Can you please respond to my questions under doubts as well?

thanks
MJ
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi MJ,

References:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... %2522%2520
and
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... _unix.html

For use just within Information Analyzer (and as per the above references), you only need step 1.

Steps 2 and 3 are only needed if you want to access the IADB instance you created from outside of Information Analyzer.

Answers to your questions:
1) A step that is not always clear in the doc is that you may need to stop/start the 'ASBAgent'. On Linux, this is done by 'root' with the

Code: Select all

../IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/bin/NodeAgends.sh restart
command. Make sure everyone is disconnected before you do this.

2) Yes.

3) Not for the Information Analyzer database (IADB) for use within Information Analyzer.

One question you did not ask is 'how do I create another instance of the Information Analyzer Database (IADB2 in your example).
The answer to that question is:
Look at the install media, directory ../is-suite/DatabaseSupport/UNIX_Linux/InformationAnalyzer/.... (from here, go to your database).
Make sure you read the README

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Robert
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi MJ,

References:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... %2522%2520
and
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... _unix.html

For use just within Information Analyzer (and as per the above references), you only need step 1.

Steps 2 and 3 are only needed if you want to access the IADB instance you created from outside of Information Analyzer.

Answers to your questions:
1) A step that is not always clear in the doc is that you may need to stop/start the 'ASBAgent'. On Linux, this is done by 'root' with the

Code: Select all

../IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/bin/NodeAgends.sh restart
command. Make sure everyone is disconnected before you do this.

2) Yes.

3) Not for the Information Analyzer database (IADB) for use within Information Analyzer.

One question you did not ask is 'how do I create another instance of the Information Analyzer Database (IADB2 in your example).
The answer to that question is:
Look at the install media, directory ../is-suite/DatabaseSupport/UNIX_Linux/InformationAnalyzer/.... (from here, go to your database).
Make sure you read the README

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Robert
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Hi
Thanks a ton for your response, really appreciated..

Two questions

1) I'm already having few entries of some databases in the .odbc.ini file (except the IADB entry), then why the
"connector" and "Connector string" drop down is empty in the Infosphere Information Server Console, while i'm trying to define a data source

2) May i know what is the need for creating another instance of IA Database (IADB2)

thanks
MJ
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Hi
Thanks a ton for your response, really appreciated..

Two questions

1) I'm already having few entries of some databases in the .odbc.ini file (except the IADB entry), then why the
"connector" and "Connector string" drop down is empty in the Infosphere Information Server Console, while i'm trying to define a data source

2) May i know what is the need for creating another instance of IA Database (IADB2)

thanks
MJ
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi,

1) Likely because you did not restart the ABS Agent with the NodeAgents.sh (note my misspelling in my original response).

2) No reason at all. I thought you were asking about creating a second IADB because you named it IADB2. My mistake for making that assumption.
Regards,
Robert
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Thanks a lot robert for your response.

Is there any other way without restarting the ASB Agent to reflect the
.odbc.ini file changes, because all the while there will be users and jobs
running.
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi,

There is no other way that I know of. However, it is possible that there is. It might be best for you to open a PMR to get the official IBM response.
Regards,
Robert
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

thanks robert, appreciated...

MJ
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I also am unaware of any way to bypass restarting of the ASB agents in this scenario. That said, it's not difficult and doesn't take long - you just have to work around other users' requirements for access to the engine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Maximus_Jack »

ok.. thanks ray

MJ